London Q- Neal's Yard Dairy?

Apr 19th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

London Q- Neal's Yard Dairy?

Local gourmet food store touts London's Neal's Yard Dairy's British cheeses - great traditional British cheeses such as Lancashire, Lincolnshire Poacher and the 'very rare and rather fragile' Ogelshield.

Any Londoners or Brits familiar with this outfit and is it as highly touted there as here?
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM

It's well known here - and it does what it says - it sells lots of cheeses.
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Not just Londoners/Brits - Neal's Yard Dairy is a VERY famous cheese shop.
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

I could Google the address but my computer is not letting me on many sights now - where is it and as a voyeur not on a budget to cop expensive cheeses would i find anything of interest to see there or is it merely a retail shop.

The deli thing mentions Monmouth Coffee Company that is Neal Yard's sister company.
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM

It's a shop tthat sells cheese. There's nothing more about it.
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Neal's Yard Dairy has two branches that we have visited in London - near Covent Garden (Neal's Yard), and on the south bank adjacent to the Borough Market (a gourmet experience of its own!).

Neal's Yard is a retail shop, but one with an absolute passion for cheese. They willingly give out samples and tons of information about their various cheeses and the particular farms and artesanal cheese makers. I was at the Borough location in March with my older daughter, who had not been before. The fellow behind the counter took us in hand and gave us a tasting tour of the entire shop - each family of cheese and particular examples - explaining what made each distinctive. We did buy small pieces of our favorites (taking digital pictures of the labels so we knew what we liked).

This is a regular stop for us on our trips to London. Fantastic friendly people and delicious cheese. BTW, some of Neal's Yard Dairy cheese is available at Whole Foods here in the US.
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks Alan - Covent Garden and Borough Market - i was at Borough Market in Feb and must have seen the stall. Thanks. Audere est farce - thanks, i'll cross it off my list of 'to dos'.
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

noe - thanks to you too - post came in after i said thanks - samples? Maybe back on my to-do list!
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM

"It's a shop tthat sells cheese. There's nothing more about it."

It's a wonderful cheese shop, but it is MORE than that. They do make cheeses and also do wholesale and exporting operations. I've also been in London restaurants that specify they serve their cheeses.
www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/aboutnyd_history.html
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM

no problem, PalenQ. It's not a stall at Borough Market, but a real shop, located next to the market. It's worth a stop - either there or Covent Garden. Are you going back to London soon?
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

not until next fall at earliest. And i will just for curiosity and perhaps a sample or two stop by. Our local deli advertising paper just raves and raves about Neal's, started it says in 1979 by Randolph Hogdson. Our deli claims to be the only US outlet for the Ogleshield , or as they say it should be called OglesShield because 'it's really two different cheeses' - Shield from a very 'select herd of Jersey cows, which give low but very rich amounts of milk' - from what it says is a fabled Montgomery's farm near Cadbury Castle (which the author says many think was the site of none other than King Arthur's Camelot) And Ogle, named after William Oglesthorpe, 'a Zambian-born cheese maturer who's managed the cellars at Neal's for six years.
Of Ogleshield it says ' it will break your stereotype of what English cheese is all about'
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM

The flat we always rent is only a few minutes walk from the Covent Garden location. One of my first stops on arrival in London is to head to Neal's Yard Dairy and get a bunch of cheeses to put in the refrigerator for our week or more. Last year when we arrived early in the morning on Christmas Eve, I headed there as usual to find it locked for the holiday -- three or four days, in fact. I nearly went into withdrawal without my Neal's Yard Dairy fix.
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM

it will break your stereotype of what English cheese is all about'

What stereotype?
Our local cheese shop claims to stock over 100 British cheeses.

According to the British Cheese Board, there are over 700.

Apr 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM

A definate yes, my friends in London took me there.