Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express

Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking for a hotel in London close to tourist attractions for 3 nights at the end of May. I'm looking for 10 adults (mid/late 20s) and keep finding hotels are already sold out, out of the price range or have horrble reviews. Holiday Inn Express and Premier Inn seem to be in the price range and at least generally clean. I would appreciate if anyone could recommend any of these particular locations over others or another similar priced hotel/b&b:

Premier Inn London Blackfriars
Premier Inn London Southwark – Tate Modern
Premier Inn London City – Old Street
Premier Inn London County Hall
Holiday Inn Express - London City
Holiday Inn Express - Earls Court
Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM

For 10 adults I presume you want 5 rooms - a lot for the typically smaller hotels in europe.

Don;t know any of these in particular, but I would check them on the map for proximity to tube station - which is how you will be getting around.
Apr 23rd, 2013, 01:09 PM

I would choose the first two or county hall ...they are very central. Forget London city...it is by th London city airport and not close to any sights and in the middle of nowhere.

Earls court and old street are ok, but a bit farther out than the first three.
Apr 23rd, 2013, 01:10 PM

Farther out that the first three I mentioned...
Apr 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM

The County Hall location is a great one - we stayed at the Marriott County Hall and really liked it. The promenade between there and Southbank Centre is fun to meander along - watch the living statues or buskers, you can see the Houses of Parliament and the Queen's Tower (and Big Ben), watch people on the London Eye. It is also close to tube stops with Westminster the most convenient, but easy enough to use Embankment. We also walked to Covent Garden from there.
Apr 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM

If you don't mind walking across the bridge to the Tube I agree the County Hall location is good and it is right next to the more expensive Marriott hotel
Apr 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM

The county hall location is also to Waterloo on the same side of the river...
Apr 23rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. I didn't really look at County Hall that closely but will have everyone check it out.
Apr 26th, 2013, 09:21 AM

County Hall is great, but jump on it ASAP because it often books up well in advance. It also generally has higher rates than other premier inns.
Apr 26th, 2013, 11:39 AM

The Premier inn Tate Modern is also well worth a good look, I have not been inside this particular one [I think they are all the same across the UK and of a very good value standard, perhaps a bit functional, but I have never had anything other than really friendly service in them]. This one is right next to Borough market with a number of good restaurants and plenty of take away food for 'picnics' in the room right on your doorstep. I passed it the other day and thought it was in an interesting location which I would really enjoy if staying in London.