Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London - Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-premier-inn-or-holiday-inn-express-975535/)

Sovyyna Apr 23rd, 2013 12:24 PM

London - Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express

I'm looking for a hotel in London close to tourist attractions for 3 nights at the end of May. I'm looking for 10 adults (mid/late 20s) and keep finding hotels are already sold out, out of the price range or have horrble reviews. Holiday Inn Express and Premier Inn seem to be in the price range and at least generally clean. I would appreciate if anyone could recommend any of these particular locations over others or another similar priced hotel/b&b:

Premier Inn London Blackfriars
Premier Inn London Southwark – Tate Modern
Premier Inn London City – Old Street
Premier Inn London County Hall
Holiday Inn Express - London City
Holiday Inn Express - Earls Court

nytraveler Apr 23rd, 2013 12:51 PM

For 10 adults I presume you want 5 rooms - a lot for the typically smaller hotels in europe.

Don;t know any of these in particular, but I would check them on the map for proximity to tube station - which is how you will be getting around.

jamikins Apr 23rd, 2013 01:09 PM

I would choose the first two or county hall ...they are very central. Forget London city...it is by th London city airport and not close to any sights and in the middle of nowhere.

Earls court and old street are ok, but a bit farther out than the first three.

jamikins Apr 23rd, 2013 01:10 PM

Farther out that the first three I mentioned...

surfmom Apr 23rd, 2013 01:15 PM

The County Hall location is a great one - we stayed at the Marriott County Hall and really liked it. The promenade between there and Southbank Centre is fun to meander along - watch the living statues or buskers, you can see the Houses of Parliament and the Queen's Tower (and Big Ben), watch people on the London Eye. It is also close to tube stops with Westminster the most convenient, but easy enough to use Embankment. We also walked to Covent Garden from there.

Dukey1 Apr 23rd, 2013 01:42 PM

If you don't mind walking across the bridge to the Tube I agree the County Hall location is good and it is right next to the more expensive Marriott hotel

jamikins Apr 23rd, 2013 01:53 PM

The county hall location is also to Waterloo on the same side of the river...

Sovyyna Apr 23rd, 2013 03:49 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I didn't really look at County Hall that closely but will have everyone check it out.

janisj Apr 26th, 2013 09:21 AM

County Hall is great, but jump on it ASAP because it often books up well in advance. It also generally has higher rates than other premier inns.

loncall Apr 26th, 2013 11:39 AM

The Premier inn Tate Modern is also well worth a good look, I have not been inside this particular one [I think they are all the same across the UK and of a very good value standard, perhaps a bit functional, but I have never had anything other than really friendly service in them]. This one is right next to Borough market with a number of good restaurants and plenty of take away food for 'picnics' in the room right on your doorstep. I passed it the other day and thought it was in an interesting location which I would really enjoy if staying in London.