London Pre-Theatre Meal Before Old Vic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in London in January with tickets on a Friday evening 7:30 at the Old Vic Theatre (Waterloo station on Tube). Any suggestions for a pre-theatre meal nearby? A restaurant, "gastropub" or wine bar for a not too fancy but comfortable atmosphere and good food would be the objective. Thanks so much.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Very close by is a big converted old firehouse called "The Fire Station. Think of it as a sort of London version of a big sports bar or TGI Friday's place. It's inexpensive and lots of fun, considered one of the early "gastro pubs" in London. It's at 150 Waterloo Road.

See:http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaura...php?venueid=84
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I was also going to recommend the Firs Station. But another place to consider is the People's Palace in the Royal Festival Hall at the South Bank Arts complex. It has good food at reasonable prices (but more than at the Fire Station) and terrific views across the river. It is walking distance from the Old Vic.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Oops - darn typos. That should be "Fire" Station
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 04:12 PM

We have exactly the same plans as Laurie, so I was excited to see this thread, but when I checked The Fire Station on london-eating.co.uk, the reviews were, well, horrible -- which pretty much put me off.

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2188.htm
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Did you find any restaurants on that site that showed all or even mostly favorable reviews? My experience has been that that site seems to be a forum for people to say bad things about restaurants, even good ones.
I'm not going to say the food is wonderful at the FireStation, but it is good -- especially for the price and location.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:13 PM

I totally agree w/ Patrick. After I saw a couple of nasty reviews of places I have been to and enjoyed I no longer access the london-eating site.

I have much better luck w/ Time Out's Eating & Drinking guide, Hardens, or even Zaguts.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:11 AM

A gastro pub that's getting a lot of positive press attention at the moment is just round the corner - The Anchor & Hope, 36 The Cut, SE1. I don't think you can book so get there early.

streetmap.co.uk will show you where the Cut is (it's an odd name for a normal road that leads to the Old Vic).

Practically opposite the Anchor & Hope is a great little tapas bar - very genuinely Spanish. I think it's called Don Felipe, and it's address is 33 The Cut.

Just round the corner from both of these, near Southwark tube station and next door to a pub called "The Ring" is a hip bar/restaurant called Baltic that serves really unusual modern polish cuisine. Don't be put off by the trendy atmosphere - it's much cheaper than it looks.

All these places do much better food and are much more interesting than the Fire Station.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Kate, as ever, we appear to be in agreement. I fully intend to disagree with you one day!

I'll second the suggestion of either Don Felipe or Baltic.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 04:22 AM

The following restaurants are all within walking distance of the theatre:

The Anchor & Hope Gastro pub (voted best gastro pub 2004) at 36 The Cut

Livebait seafood restaurant at 45 The Cut

Meson Don Felipe - one of London's best Tapas bars at 53 The Cut

Pizza Paradiso at 61 The Cut

Tas is a very busy and modern Turkish restaurant at 33 The Cut. www.tasrestaurant.com

Windmill Pub - serves good Thai food.

On Waterloo Road are:
The Fire Station at 150 Waterloo Road. Large modern restaurant with very busy bar in, of course, a converted fire station.

Masters Superfish - a very good eat in traditional fish and chip shop at 191 Waterloo Road - very popular with taxi drivers

Thai Silk at 103 Waterloo Road opposite Waterloo Station. Very reasonable lunch and early evening set menus.

Cubana - just round the corner from the Fire Station - very good cocktails and happy hours. www.cubana.co.uk

On Blackfriars Road is a good Polish restaurant Baltic. They have a good early pre theatre menu deal. www.balticrestaurant.co.uk/

This is just a small selection for more restaurants and bars etc have a look at the local website www.london-se1.co.uk
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Patrick & Janis: I think you're right. No wonder I have such a hard time finding restaurants! Everyone: thanks for all the suggestions.