London Pre-theater restaurant help

Dec 31st, 2017, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

London Pre-theater restaurant help

We have a vegetarian teen plus 2 meat eating adults.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Dec 31st, 2017, 06:58 AM

What theatre are you going to? London has thousands of suitable restaurants so it would help if we could narrow it down a bit (and don’t just say the West End or the Theatre District - there are theatres all over London).

Oh, type of food and cost would be good. To be honest though you could walk into pretty much any restaurant in the Covent Garden/Shaftesbury Avenue area that has a pre-theatre menu and there’ll be at least one good veggie choice.
Dec 31st, 2017, 07:30 AM

Yes your restaurant choice will depend on theater location. We liked Jamie Oliver's in the Piccadilly area--creative menu with great food. We were headed to Jersey Boys so the location was perfect for that show.
Dec 31st, 2017, 07:41 AM

We've done an afternoon tea, as late as could, because it's such a big meal, than had a snack after the theatre.

Not really your question, but that's been fun for us and helped get our afternoon tea experience and theatre experience in on our short visits to London.
Dec 31st, 2017, 07:43 AM

I wish I could edit the above. I want to add that we have gone to The Wolseley after the theatre for a late night bite. That's where I literally bumped into Rufus Sewell.
Dec 31st, 2017, 08:07 AM

In 2016, we were in London and saw several plays in a week. The restaurant that really stood out to us was Dishoom. It's Bombay/Indian cuisine--delicious! We weren't sure what to order, but the staff was very helpful and we enjoyed a variety of dishes (we were with a group of 8). I'm sure you'd be able to find some vegetarian dishes as well as meatie. I'd recommend getting a reservation--it was quite crowded. Here's a link: http://www.dishoom.com/covent-garden/ Have a great trip!
Dec 31st, 2017, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Wicked at Apollo Victoria theater in June.

One steak eater for sure, no carbs or pasta
One steak, seafood, much easier to please
One teen new to vegetarian (don’t know how long that will last)

No Indian, Mexican, or sushi
Budget wide open, better food, not sandwiches

We’ll be staying at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge Hotel taking a cab to the theater. We did this a few years ago with her sister and had a great steak dinner
at Hawksmoor Seven Dials before Matilda.
Dec 31st, 2017, 09:27 AM

TPAYT: Hawksmoor was such a good pre-theater dinner for us last year. The early menu was so good and we just taxied to the theater. I'm going to guess they might have a veg choice, but I don't know. Glad you liked it because we did, too.
Dec 31st, 2017, 10:40 AM

We had a delicious, reasonably, priced pre theater dinner at Northall in the Corinthia Hotel which was near our theater. The dining room is beautiful and service was superb. It is walking distance to the Embankment Tube Station.
Dec 31st, 2017, 10:54 AM

The Apollo Victoria is not near most of the places suggested so far. For pre-theatre I generally like to be walking distance from the theatre because of the traffic and cabs can really be slow. Unfortunately that isn't a hotbed of fine dining. There is a decent Italian restaurant on Vauxhall bridge Rd http://ilpostovictoria.co.uk

Otherwise I'd recommend doing as tuscanlifeedit suggests -- do a late afternoon tea (the Goring is nearby but any of the posh hotels would do) and then if anyone is peckish after the show there are late night places near your hotel.
Dec 31st, 2017, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

llposto looks like a winner as they do have steaks and probably a no meat pasta with sauce for the teen

Thanks, it will go in our plan.
Dec 31st, 2017, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Just checked into ll Posto further. Again the menu looks good to please our varied tastes but what a plain looking room. I was hoping for a nicer environment.

I’ll still keep it on the list though.
Dec 31st, 2017, 01:59 PM

If you want to eat in Victoria your options are semi limited. I'd also consider eating somewhere around Waterloo / your hotel