London - post theatre suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I (two females, mid 30's) are going to London on a short trip on 16/17/18 December - to see "His Dark Materials", staged in the National Theatre (can't wait!). Can I pick the collective brains of you nice Fodorites for interesting places to go after the theatre? I've checked out Ronnie Scott's and the 606 Club online - but any other suggestions would be most welcome. We'll have already eaten, and we're not into nightclubs - but somewhere with live music where you could get a glass of wine and supper would be ideal. We do realise that we're talking about the last Friday night before Christmas so a lot of places would be really packed out with office parties and so on. We're staying in Islington - so anywhere within a reasonable taxi fare of there would be considered. Thanks so much.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Your request is a difficult one I'm afraid, and as you observe most places will be all fully booked up. If none of those venues did it for you, I don't really know what to suggest, I don't particularly go into live music, so I'm no expert on the less well known venues.

Normally, I'd suggest going to Baltic in SE1 post National, but once again I'd imagine that their fabulous bar/restaurant is all fully booked, and the cloakrooms would be inaccessible due to continual prayer breaks.

Do hotel bars grab you? A quiet drink among friends in one of the better ones could be good - try The Savoy which is relatively nearby, it's a classic.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Well, Mrs F & I would normally curl up with a mug of nice cocoa - though I usually put a generous dash of Cointreau into mine.

And that may well be your prob. Most of us go home after the theatre.

Adolescents (of all ages) hang round clubs till the wee hours, where they ruin their hearing for life and keep much of Colombia's agriculture going. In between, there isn't that much (and Islington residents have campaigned hard to make sure the streets of N1 really are quiet enough after 11pm for Mrs F to enjoy her cocoa in peace).

But you might try the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town, the Dover St Restaurant and Bar (W1), or if there's a 10pm show at Pizza on the Park at Hyde Park Corner (which really is a branch of Pizza Express, but has a long tradition of music for grownups in its downstairs piano bar). The Jazz/Latin bit in the Music section of Time Out has current listings (there are currently quite a few salsa etc operations, which might suit you) - and the good news is that what you're looking for is exactly what the office party pissheads will be avoiding.

In truth, though, late-night adult, non-gay, non-sleazy, entertainment has long been the great gap in London's cultural offerings. Unless there's a whole world out there us cocoa drinkers havben't heard about.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Try a real hot chocolate with a slug of green chartreuse for a change!

Milk and Honey is a sophisticated place where there aren't too many prayer breaks, otherwise, everyone prays away! You're right that London lacks anything that isn't sleazy and late night, but perhaps that's "charm", perhaps it isn't!
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:55 AM

What on earth do you mean by prayer breaks, mk2 ?
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:01 AM

I stayed with Faversham Development in Chelsea. Their apartments are really super, and the service is great. check the website at www.favershamdevelopment.com
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:15 AM

carla, Are you suggesting the apartments as a source of after theatre entertainment?
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:23 AM

i might be wrong but i suspect it is a euphamism for another activity that that is performed while kneeling.

just slipped in by m2k for shock value, i guess.

m2k???
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Eeew.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:30 AM

I can't work out if walkinaround is on the right lines or not.

I assumed "prayer breaks" was referring to people snorting lines of cocaine in the bathrooms?
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:57 AM

"Prayer Breaks" are indeed a euphimism for snorting coke in the toilets. It comes from the various members Destiny's Child taking frequent "prayer breaks" during interviews with journalists and PR events. Allegedly.
[I hasten to add Allegedly as there is obviously no basis in fact for this outrageous slur on a fine and upstanding group of individuals who exhibit only the highest standards of moral fibre.]
(May I sign off now Mr Lawyer?)

Dr D.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Goodness, I wouldn't have expected mk2 to be au fait with the habits of Destiny's Child.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:43 PM

ter2000
flanneruk's suggestions of the Jazz Cafe,Pizza on the Park and Pizza Express are all very good. Don't let the name "Pizza Express" scare you away - they have decent food and it's a very comfortable jazz venue. For what you are looking for - I think that you would really like it. (there are multiple locations)

Ronnie Scott's is a good place to see a name act. It's located in a very lively area with many late night clubs and eating spots. If you do go here, I would suggest getting tickets in advance. We saw The Charles Mingus Big Band there in March. Without reserved seats we had to wait in line (queue) for quite a long time for standing room only admission.
Time Out London magazine is also a good source for entertainment info and is published weekly so everything is current.

One other suggestion, check out www.meanfiddler.com - it is a good source for live music venues including the Jazz Cafe and others.

JoeG
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:46 PM

My dear, we're with everything naturally.