Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Plus Pass - ordering Eurostar to Paris tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered my Britrail London Plus Pass but haven't received it yet. I ordered it through Rick Steve's site but they're closed today, so...... does anyone know if I can go ahead and buy my Eurostar to Paris tickets now (with a passholder fare discount) or do I have to wait until I physically receive the passes? Will I have to somehow prove to the ticket agency that I do have the London Plus pass in order to get the discount? Thanks anyone!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:07 AM

I believe the passholder fare has been abolished for the LondonPlus Pass - no longer qualifies since the start of the year. To check, call BETS (800-441-2387) who can get you a definitive answer. Too bad the next lowest fare can be much higher but still reserve one far in advance or you could pay much more.
Last month i checked Eurostar in London and passholder fare was about $100 for the lowest on the spot but often these tickets are not available - chose a weekday for best chances.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank so much - I had no idea the passholder fare has been stopped since no one's updated their websites! I will take your advice and call BETS now.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM

please report back as this is the info i have but i could be wrong. Thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Hello PalenQ,

I am also interested in the Eurostar to Paris (for a day). Would you suggest we book now for a June 7th (Thursday) trip? Thanks for any information.

Helen
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Yes and i always recommend checking fares on www.eurostar.com in British pounds as well as thru RailEurope in US - i recommend BETS because you talk to someone who is an exert on Eurostar and will do a manual search as searches on RailEurope's sights are notorious for misleading fares (several Fodorites have said they get an e-mail back saying the price is different - higher) so i encourage talking to a real person.

the eurostar.com sight seems to work well and you either retrieve your ticket in London at Eurostar check-in or get it sent - not sure how but no charge i believe. Fares could well be cheaper on www.eurostar.com especially since RailEurope recently raised theirs - so just check both and take the best deal.
And the cheapest fares can be sold out long in advance due to the fact that Eurostar's load factors are at an all-time high.
Yes pick a weekeday for best options but cheapest fares are non-refundable, non-changeable so make sure of it.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM

Also try lastminute.com for cheap eurostar tickets, I got mine for £59.00 return.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

Krenl: I just got confirmation that the LondonPlus pass does indeed qualify for a passholder fare.

The confusion came from a RailEurope release indicating that the rules had changed and it would not...but now RailEurope has changed again and says it does.

Passholder fares start at $74 one way but are tiered up so book as early as possible. Rick Steves won't make these reservations and he advises you to do so thru RailEurope - again i'd call BETS (800-441-2387) for their expertise and lack of RE's $15 mailing fee.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM

One important thing about passholder fares is that though you don't use a day of travel on a flexipass, like the LondonPlus but the overall validity period of the pass must be in effect - eight days in most LondonPlus passes though 15 if you do the 7 day one. So make sure you pass will still be valid when you take the Eurostar trip or you won't qualify.