Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London, Paris, Venice, Munich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-paris-venice-munich-875978/)

mari5 Jan 31st, 2011 11:19 AM

London, Paris, Venice, Munich

I'm back again,, and thanks for all the very nice inputs last October. Finally planning a trip for two 48 yr old ladies , each with a 17yr. old daughter....this June, 2011. This is a "highlight" trip, perhaps squeezing in more than they should,,, but hey,,, it's not my trip and will plan what they would like to cover. They are all 4 energetic...the two girls will be off to college in August, One mother,(our daughter) lived overseas as a child with us as well a teaching elementary school at an air base in Turkey for 2 years and traveling a lot,, The other mother grew up an army brat and lived some in Germany. The two teenagers haven't traveled overseas,,,,,,,,,,but are very excited and finally getting in gear as to what they want to see and do.
12 days on the ground, 1 day on each end for travel. Fly to London from TX, spend 3 days, Eurostar to Paris and spend 3 days. THEN: we need heIp and suggestions. I believe it would take most of the day to travel to Venice on train....WHAT airlines do you suggest Paris to Venice??? EAsy Jet perhaps and what airport do they leave from. ? a couple of nights in Venice and train back to Munich...spend about 3 days around there, (Salzburg, Berchesgraten etc),, and fly home to TX from either Munich or Frankfurt. I think they will have a rail pass...(though some of you think it's cheaper buy point to point tickets.
(they can get a "group" discount since there are 4 of them and WILL be taking the train together.) and it sounds more convenient to me.....lots of options.!
I WOULD like some ideas from you regarding flight from Paris to Venice....or possible intineries....perhaps Paris to Munich on train,,,,then after 3 or 4 days train on to Venice and fly home from there. Lots of possibilities
I have done research and will continue to do so,,,but do appreciate those who have first hand experience. I have some possible hotel ideas for Paris and London,,,,,,,so MANY good areas for reasonable priced places (I'm a libra and like EVERY AREA )
This decision is difficult as to which area of the cities these ladies would enjoy the most.....They are good navigators and can get around the cities easily ( I "hope" ):):) My husband and I have been to Paris and London multiple times and still don't have a favorite!!!
Many thanks for your help!!!

janisj Jan 31st, 2011 11:56 AM

only one very quick comment right now. I see no way a rail pass makes sense.

The Eurostar from London to Paris isn't covered by eurail passes, and w/ their VERY short timeframe for that many destinations they'd be flying to Venice.

At very most there will be 2 or 3 train trips.

(If it was me -- I'd try VERY hard to convince them to cut at least one destination - it is too much and too far in too little time. Any three of those cities would make for one very full trip. But yes, it <i>is</i> their trip)

ellenem Jan 31st, 2011 12:31 PM

Flying from Paris to Venice, consider flight options to either Venice (VCE-Marco Polo Airport) or Treviso (TSF-Sant' Angelo Airport).

mari5 Jan 31st, 2011 07:45 PM

oops....bringing this to the top in hopes of some ideas.
Thanks.
Wow,,, so many posts,,,,they slip down very fast,, right?

jamikins Feb 1st, 2011 01:03 AM

If I read your post right you have the following:

Day 1 – fly to London
Day 2 – land in London – get settled, maybe have half a day and a night in London
Day 3 - London
Day 4 - London
Day 5 – London to Paris, again have half a day and a night in Paris
Day 6 - Paris
Day 7 - Paris
Day 8 – Paris – Venice, again have half a day and a night in Venice
Day 9 - Venice
Day 10 - Venice
Day 11 – Venice to Munich, again have half a day and a night in Munich
Day 12 - Munich
Day 13 - Munich
Day 14 – fly home from Munich

Book your Eurostar tickets 4 months in advance to get the cheapest tickets.

I would definitely fly from Paris to Venice.

I have never done the trip to Munich from Venice so someone else will have to help.

Dont see a need for a rail pass.

I really dont think they have time to do any day trips from Munich. This plan really only gives them 2 1/2 days in each place as they will lose 1/2 day each time they change locations, if not a bit more - not nearly enough time for me, but if they are ok with it it is doable. I would personally drop one location and spend more time in each place.

mari5 Feb 1st, 2011 09:06 AM

You have this about right, jamikins,.....
except possibly one day less in Venice and 1 day more in Munich area (day trip to Salzburg etc)(also one of the mothers lived in GErmany as a military child and use to go to Berchesgarten),...definitely flying from Paris to Venice. Also might take a fairly cheap flight Munich back to London at the end,,, go in afternoon before, stay and walk around Windsor perhaps. This seems to be a case where the open jaw back to TX is way more than into and out of London.....and there are daily NON stops London /Houston!, which makes it so easy, and visa versa.
Definitly have scrapped the idea of a rail pass....No need for just 2 or 3 train rides.
Yes, Janisj, I know the rail pass does not cover London to Paris.........
Is there any other secret of getting a good rate on the Europstar except as mentioned above,,,"buy 4 months in advance".?
Thanks for the ideas and does anyone have personal experience ideas for well located low/ moderate hotels in London , Paris, London, Munich.?

alanRow Feb 1st, 2011 09:45 AM

"Also might take a fairly cheap flight Munich back to London at the end,,, go in afternoon before, stay and walk around Windsor perhaps."

The only cheap direct flights are with Easyjet - but they go to Stansted or Gatwick and not Heathrow.

If you want to go to Heathrow then you have to use Lufthansa or BA

alanRow Feb 1st, 2011 09:48 AM

"Is there any other secret of getting a good rate on the Europstar except as mentioned above,,,"buy 4 months in advance".?"

That is the secret - and use the Eurostar website

mari5 Feb 1st, 2011 04:24 PM

Yes, alanRow........it seems that BA, Lufthansa, AF, have one way flights Munich to LHR at reasonable prices,,,
In fact in line with EasyJet price.. I'll do more research to confirm, but it sounds ideal for our situation.
Thanks!

jamikins Feb 1st, 2011 10:45 PM

Personally I would drop Venice as you will only have 1 day there and you will be spending the equivalent of almost a day to get there. I would allocate those nights to the other places and save the time and money and have more time to see things in the other 3 places. This is especially true if you are going to spend another 1/2 day flying back to London the day before for the flights home!

I would do a search for hotels here - there are tonnes of threads about this.

Use www.eurostar.com and book exactly 4 months out to get the best price - no other secrets.

cathies Feb 2nd, 2011 02:00 AM

mari5, I really don't mean to pick on your post, but if you could put in some paragraphs it would be much easier to read!!

chip Feb 2nd, 2011 06:31 AM

although as i close in on the big 5-0 i find slower travel more appealing, i think it is fun that you are able to introduce your daughters to europe.

our one day in venice was magical...just makes us want to return so i can see why you want to include this city in your trip.

on your munich section...we rented a car and stayed close to Neuschwanstein Castle and in a day toured it along with Hohenschwangau Castle and Linderhof then drove to salzburg...germany is easy to drive and will give you a chance to experience bavaria on your own. we only spent a day in salzburg (want to go back!) and loved it. we enjoyed the "sound of music" tour.

3 days in each place will give you a nice taste...i just hope they can coordinate all the flights so travel doesn't steal too much time and all they see are airports

mari5 Feb 2nd, 2011 08:36 PM

oops, sorry ,,cathies ! Funny thing , with my emails I ALWAYS put in paragraphs and space each for easy reading. Many friends write long messages with NO break,and yes it IS harder to read. I guess this time I didn't want to make it look "too" long :)Thanks jamikins... It looks like (and this with cheap EAsyjet, they will have a full half day, night, full next day and night in Venice, getting a good overview and wanting to return some time again.

British Airways told me today they have 7 flights a day Munich to Heathrow, and the prices are not too bad,,,,(cheaper to buy a return ticket and use just half :) Might also consider leaving early from Munich to London(only 2 hours) and on to Houston the same day. (Can be done on the same day with same plane from Munich IF one want to go through Newark.........I think )

These two mothers and two teenage daughters plan on "going' and "doing" and "walking" all day for 12 days... so a little respite now and then for air or train sounds good to me. But it's THEIR trip, not mine. I am just the "messenger" so to speak!

Still looking for some ideas on favorite location for hotels in the above 4 cities. So many good, reasonable ones,,,,and they don't plan on spending much time in the hotel.. My husband and I travel a little differently,,,always on our own and often with a car,,,,,but then we are "older".
Thanks.....

cathies Feb 3rd, 2011 01:06 AM

Thanks Mari5, soooo much easier to read!! Sorry I can't really help with anything but it's interesting to see this trip taking shape.

mari5 May 9th, 2011 10:37 AM

I'm back,,,,,the trip is confirmed and pretty well planned. Not real cheap, but I did my best. (middle two weeks in June) Daughter, her 18 yr old daughter, a friend and her 18 yr.old daughter....both girls graduating and are college bound. Will be a mix of trains and planes, and yes, it will be busy "tourist time", but they are aware of this.~~~and aware of lots of walking. ,Both mothers are lots of fun,...and tell the girls they can "sleep when they get back home". :)
We welcome any suggestions of reasonable,or cheap and good restaurants, cafes etc in ..London, Paris, Venice, Munich (and Salzburg). They know abut the street crepes(with Nutella etc) in Paris,,, Pizzas in Venice, Pretamager, even Boots ready made sandwiches etc but would also some prix fixed places etc. I know these can be found by walking the streets,,,,but if you have any favorites please let us know.

And also......favorite places in any of these cities that your "older teens" have enjoyed.

Thanks