Reload this Page >

London, Paris, Sorrento/Amalfi Coast, Wheelchair users and Kudos

Old Apr 30th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodors,

I have another trip in the works (just like many of you said would happen!)
First off-
I have yet to even start a trip report for my last trip that so many of you helped me on. To name a few to say THANK YOU!:
annhig(I loved Santa Prassede), I also appreciated all of your Italy tips/suggestions
denisea,kybourbon- Provided lots of help and many many tips
willowjane- who introduced me to the scavi tour in Rome, which was amazing.
Cdchi1- for mentioning San Giovanni in Laterano- I absolutely loved this church.
adrienne- Thank you for many Paris/France tips. I am using many of your suggestions for my 2nd trip this Fall.
Vespacurves- for the time saving suggestion, which we used. Rome then train to Vencie
indy_dad- for the Normandy help

Here is the plan for the trip with my 2 cousins in October:

6 nights/5 full days in London
6 nights/5 full days in Paris
4 nights/3 full days in Sorrento (cousins are staying 7 nights/6 full days)
-Day trips to Pompeii,Positano,Capri,Naples
I will be taking the train to Rome, alone, and staying in a convent for 3nights/2 full days. I have been before and want to do a few things I did not have time for on my last trip.

One of my cousins uses a wheelchair. Do any of you have experience traveling with someone who uses a wheelchair? What is the accessibility like? it doesn't look great to be so far, but doable with three of us. We have already discussed slower travel and site seeing.

I feel the itinerary is good for London and Paris. I have never been to that part of Italy, does it look ok? We mainly want to just relax and visit the picturesque towns. We do want to visit Pompeii museums (I think we will join a walks of Italy pompeii tour), hike Mt. Vesuvius, eat pizza in Naples .

What is Capri like at the end of October, the blue grotto open then?

What about a driver for the Amalfi coast, any suggestions for this? What is the public transportation like? I've read that the busses are very crowded.

I don't want to plan things on particular days, as I'd rather let that depend on the weather.

Thank you for your insight!
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 09:01 AM

There's a dedicated forum called 'Travelling with Disabilities' on Trip Advisor. The opening thread is a 'sticky' and packed with v.useful tips and info.

Here's the thread...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...abilities.html
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 09:10 AM

I think there are places that will have issues - and would check out as much info as you can in advance.

Pompeii has the original Roman roads - which means very large cobblestones with ruts in them for the wheels of chariots and local wheeled traffic. Can't imagine how to do it with a wheelchair - so I would check the site.

The Blue Grotto - even if open then (seas may be too rough) is accesable only from a row boat - and you have to lay down in the bottom. You might be able to get a launch or larger boat (with a ramp access) to go around the island. Don;t recall ferries/hydrofoils - obviously you enter via a gangplank - but don't know how wide or the height of the steps on and off (they may be able to plank this).
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Pompeii and the blue grotto will probably not be done by my cousin who uses a wheelchair. Thank you for the insight and the link!
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else have suggestions and/or tips for the Amalfi Coast area? Can you see Pompeii and Hike Mt. Vesuvius in one day? What about Capri and the blue grotto,weather is probably "iffy" in October?

Thank you in advance!