Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London-Paris-Luzern-London in 6 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-paris-luzern-london-in-6-days-878509/)

liewss80 Feb 18th, 2011 05:55 PM

London-Paris-Luzern-London in 6 days

Hi all.

I'm planning for a 6 Days trip for London-Paris-Luzern-London.

Can anyone suggest me an ideal itinerary in term of time allocation for each place, where to go, how to travel (estimated travelling time), currency, etc?

Thanks.

P_M Feb 18th, 2011 06:02 PM

All this in only 6 days? Sorry but you have no time to see anything. Your entire trip will be spent traveling from one place to another with no time to see very much of anything.

You seriously need to make a new plan. We will be happy to help when you do, but there's nothing anyone can do with this as it is.

Please take this advice in the spirit in which it is given, I'm trying to be helpful and not unkind.

sarge56 Feb 18th, 2011 07:26 PM

P_M is correct. You would simply be wasting your money and not getting anything for it. (Unless you're trying to beat some Guinness Book of World Record time.)

Are you IN London? Or arriving London?

I say just do Paris. Save Luzern for another trip.

janisj Feb 18th, 2011 08:04 PM

>><i>I say just do Paris. . . .</i><<

or just London . . .

jamikins Feb 19th, 2011 02:41 AM

6 days you should pick 1, or pick 2 and fly into 1 and out the other. The problem is that it takes about 1/2 with checking in and out, transit to the airport/train station, travelling between the countries, transit to your hotel, checking in before you can even see anything so you are losing 2 full days just in doing that which only leaves you 4 days between 3 cities.

liewss80 Mar 2nd, 2011 03:13 AM

ya, I know its a really short trip. maybe just london & paris if really cant make it :(

Can I know how long it takes to travel fr London to Paris (Train) and Paris to Luzern (Train)?

Cathinjoetown Mar 2nd, 2011 03:23 AM

You can play around with train schedules on www.raileurope.com or www.bahn.de

London to Paris is around two hours 20 minutes, but Paris is an hour ahead of London, so you lose an hour of your day.

I would cut Lucerne for sure. It's pretty but what if the day you are there, as you won't have much more than that, the weather is socked in, which can happen year round?

liewss80 Mar 2nd, 2011 03:24 AM

Is there any flight from London to Luzern?

travelgourmet Mar 2nd, 2011 03:48 AM

<i>Is there any flight from London to Luzern?</i>

Luzern doesn't have an airport. You would have to fly into Zurich and take the train, which will take roughly an hour.

Luzern is the big outlier here. The train from Paris is roughly 5 hours and you would have trouble beating that time with flights, though you might shave a few minutes off if everything fell into place. Flying back to London would take at least that long, too. Simply too far away to work it in.

I suggest ditching Luzern and sticking with Paris and/or London. The Eurostar takes 2:20 to go between the two.

qubed Mar 2nd, 2011 04:14 AM

I would kindly suggest you take the useful advice of the others and remove Lucerne from your itinerary as well.

I live in London and can tell you adequately you feasibly need 2 full days minimum (not including a travel day) to see sights / places. Don't jeopordize the experience just to cram in a city to say you have done and say you have seen it - you will have done neither in the end as time will not have allowed you to.

Paris requires an equal minimum of time as London. Should you allow yourself 2-3 days there as well, you will have already met or exceeded your travel time.

Lucerne is quite enchanting and I personally feel can be done in half a day just to get a glimpse of the city, but geographically I think you are stretching yourself too wide to fit in everything you want to in 6 days.

You could quite easy spend 3-5 days in just Paris or London. You might think this is overkill in each city, but if you factor in day trips (Windsor, Versaille, Cambridge, Stonehenge, Giverny)

My advice would be to just split your time up between these two cities.

liewss80 Mar 2nd, 2011 04:43 AM

I've drafted the itinerary as follow:
http://www.skybees.com.my/TEMP/TRIP.JPG

Mind to comment? TQ

Cathinjoetown Mar 2nd, 2011 04:49 AM

Obviously, Lucerne is a key priority. Hope it works for you.

No need for further comment from me.

liewss80 Mar 2nd, 2011 04:52 AM

Haha...I've heard of good reviews from close friend on Luzern. But might rearrange. Reduce 1Day in Luzern and spend extra day on either Paris or London. :)

travelgourmet Mar 2nd, 2011 05:04 AM

Luzern is nice. Small, but nice. City attractions - museums, shopping, restaurants, etc will be much better in Paris and London. Luzern wins, for me, on scenery - you have some mountains, a lake, and a pretty city.

Luzern will be (much) more expensive for food and other non-lodging costs. London will be the cheapest for lodging, if you use Priceline judiciously.

Otherwise, you are being relatively realistic on the times, so it is up to you whether it is worth throwing Luzern in there. Myself, I hate overnight trains, which is kind of critical to your schedule. The 7am departure from London is also a killer, and would mean something like a 4-5am wakeup time.

Personally, I would still skip Luzern, as it adds too much inconvenience.

liewss80 Mar 2nd, 2011 05:09 AM

Thank you very much for the quick responses. Really appreciate that. I would take all comments into consideration. :)

Michel_Paris Mar 2nd, 2011 05:21 AM

May one ask what is the attraction to you for Lucerne, that you would contort your holiday to get there for 1 day? Paris and London by themselves are way more than 6 days each...then you add in jet lag...then you add time in getting from airport/train station to hotel...then you add in time getting back to airport/train station.

If this is practice for your signing up for the Amazing Race...:)