London, Paris, Italy and Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my earlier post about visiting London, Paris & Italy in 10 days, I got a lot of advice which said that this is too less a time for covering so many places. So I am changing my plans a bit - cutting one city out of the trip - either London or Paris. Couple of years after this European Vacation, I am also planning a trip to Athens, so I will do the skipped city then.

So it's 2 vacations in all to cover London, Paris, Venice, Rome and Athens - so I was wondering what's the most logical pairing.

1. (London + Italy) in one & (Paris + Athens) in the other
or

2. (London + Athens) in one & (Paris + Italy) in the other

I am asking logical in terms of convenience of travel, cost of travel, similar weather patterns etc. (I want to go in the summer months - no cold or rainy weather).

Most traveling done by flight (maybe train between the Italian cities).
Any opinions, thoughts, guys?
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 07:11 AM

And why not London/Paris and Italy/Athens? That is geographically far more logical than the options you listed.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

The no of days I plan to spend in London or Paris is lesser than the number of days in Italy or Athens. Clubbing London & Paris together will make it a much smaller vacation than the other one.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 08:17 AM
ira

HI K,

Your last post does not compute.

Why do you think that you can;t spend as many days in and around L & P as you would in the other places?

Old Feb 5th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The short answer is it really makes no difference since you can fly between any of those places. So just choose.

But honestly London+Paris, is the most logical/easiest pairing since the train takes only 2 hours from the center of London to the center of Paris.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 08:49 AM

I think basic geography answers your question. But I don't understand why London and Paris is a "lesser" vacation.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 10:31 AM

Agree with the above...combine in any way you choose as the flights are easy.

London and Paris are the easiest logistically but you don't want to combine them

Just make sure you book into one city and out of another (open jaw or multi city on airline websites) to avoid wasting time and money on backtracking for your flight home.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Well, since Italy is a country and Paris and London are cities, I can see why you'd want to spend more time in Italy and Athens than in Paris and London.

However, there is much more to do in France and the UK than just visit two cities. Get a good guidebook and see what else is near London and Paris. Places that occur to me are Bath, Cotswolds, Canterbury, in the UK and Chartres, Reims, Loire River valley near Paris. By visiting smaller cities, you'll get a whole different flavor of Europe.