London/Paris favorite restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I just joined this forum, as it is my first trip to these 2 cities (or to Europe at all for that matter!) I would love some suggestions on restaurants. I'm sure there is tons of info on this subject but would appreciate any all time favorites. I'm open to all kinds of food - probably nothing over $100 per meal. I found a couple that sounded appealing in my travel books:
London - The Eagle, Deca, The Ivy, Zaika, Caldesi
Paris - 404, Spoon, L'Astor, Astier, L'Impasse
Anyone been to these? I'd appreciate any advice - I definitely want to eat well for my first time in Europe!
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:06 AM

Check out www.chowhound.com they have some great recommendations.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi Lolly,

If you do a search on "Paris and Restaurant" on this forum, you will find many recommendtions.

Same for London.
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Hi Lolly,

I found a wonderful Thai restaurant when I visited London last year called Patara. It is on Beauchamp Pl. not to far a walk from Harrods. The food was wonderful (I had poached Chilean seabass, chicken satay appetizer, sticky rice w/mango for dessert, and a glass of wine) and the service was the best both times I went there, very attentive, friendly. The meal ran me about 30£, (about $50 or so for one) not cheap, but worth it for the excellent meal that I had. I plan to go back when I visit again. Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

The Thai restaurant sounds great! Thanks so much for the recommendation!
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:20 PM

We will be going to London in June and I am also looking for some good restaurant suggestions. I have looked on several other threads and most of them date back to 2002. Anyone visited recently with suggestions?

Thanks
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:24 PM

I just topped a thread from the winter, highlighting London restaurants that Bon Appetit (Dec. '03) chose as top picks.

My husband and I liked Conran's Quaglino's when we were in London; the ambience is big brasserie style. The food was delicious.
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:17 AM

None of you have mentioned, or indeed dined at the very newly opened restaurant Cipriani. This is located in Davies St, Mayfair, W1, opposite the bar entrance of Claridge's.

Wonderful food, service is attentive and old school, décor equally fabulous. They even do just coffee from 10AM and 3PM. Lunches are more affordable - 20 pounds for a set menu, but dinner at around sixty pounds a head won't break the bank.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM

ttt
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:37 PM

For London, www.hardens.com is an excellent guide. You can search by cuisine, neighborhood etc. The Ivy, on your London list, is a long standing favorite of many. It's owned by the same people as another favorite, Rules. Read reviews here & at Hardens & decide which one sounds better to you.

One of my favorites has been Langans, part owned by Michael Caine. It gets mixed reviews but I've always had a good meal & a good time. Downstairs is the best celeb spotting. Upstairs there's a great mural of Venice. They serve traditional English like bangers & mash (sausage & mashed potatoes) along with things more recognizable.

You can find menus to most places online. Toptable.co.uk is another good website. They may have discounts & you can book a table throguh them.

BTW, if you mean $100 for 2, not all your choices will work. The exchange rate makes everything very pricey.

In Paris, Astier is a classic & considered a bargain but people have been saying it's been disappointing lately. There have been some recent trip reports (including one entitled Ira's Mother's first trip to Paris) if you type that in the text search with good restaurant choices. Therea re a number of previous threads on rmantic restaurants. In addition to doing some searches here, you might have a look at a website I found jack-travel.com He lists affordable places by arrondisement.