Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overseas for work 1week, then off to Africa for 3weeks - question about luggage!

Search

Overseas for work 1week, then off to Africa for 3weeks - question about luggage!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-
So, I need to be in Amsterdam for a week for work in a few months. I was able to piggyback our Africa trip right after it, so I stay in Amsterdam and just meet my husband at the AMS airport en route to Tanzania.

Most of you probably know the luggage restrictions for Africa, and I should probably tell you that when I pack for a trip, I pack my entire house! I know I need to really limit it for Africa, but we are doing Kilimanjaro, a safari and then Zanzibar, so I need to pack a range of items for all the activities.

I was thinking of bringing 2 suitcases with me when I leave the states - a big(ger) one for Africa, and a small one crammed with stuff for Amsterdam.

I was hoping to either
a) send the small suitcase home from Amsterdam before leaving for Africa
b) having the suitcase be held somewhere in Amsterdam during our time in Africa, as we have a layover on our way back to the states

Have any of you done either before? Just trying to figure out the best way to do this. I know for a fact there is no way I can fit upwards of a month's worth of stuff into one suitcase. Even though it's a few month's away, I wanted to get a head-start on brainstorming my options.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

bumping for the later crowd!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM

One option is to FedEx or UPS your work stuff back. call hotel and ask their advice. (Any chance you could expense it??)
Could you pack in a soft sided bag (work stuff). That bag could then be packed in the bigger bag going to Africa.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:17 PM

You can store luggage at Schipol airport. It costs 5 Euros for the 1 day and then 3.5 to 3.00 for each subsequent day (gets a bit cheaper the longer you store it). Fro three weeks this should cost something like US$80 per piece. Website for Schipol airport is http://www.schiphol.nl/, info on luggage storage is under "Airport Information", click on "Check-in and Luggage", then "Luggage" on the left hand menu, then "Left Luggage" on the right.

Shipping by Fed Ex would be pretty expensive, IMO. There are commercial air shippers that would be cheaper which you might be able to arrange once you are in Amsterdam, your office might be able to help. I have done this from Hong Kong, however, I had to go to the airport at the other end to collect the luggage which may not be an option for you as you will be in Africa; maybe someone else could collect it.

I myself am a pack rat, packing light is a virtue totally lost on me.

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hello Boston Girl, just another thought. I one time sent what amounted to a suitcase of clothes home from Italy via the Italian Post Office. I had it shipped by land. It cost me around $60.00US. It arrived something like 2 months later, everything intact. Do not know about Amsterdam but if the Italian PO can do this I would think the Netherlands PO could. Of course if you need the items immediately on returning home that would not work for you. Best wishes.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all who responded.

Oh boy - 2mos? I'll have to think about that one, that's kind of a long time!

Cicerone - special thanks on all the info re: keeping luggage at the airport, if that's a reasonably accurate rate for keeping it there while I'm in Africa, then I'm sold! On our way home, we have a 6hr layover in AMS, so I'll have plenty of time to retrieve it!

Thanks again, I appreciate your input!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You could do a combination of the above good suggestions. Mail home a box of clothes from the post office (not sure about Amsterdam but have done this in Switzerland, bought a box at the PO, mailed it regular mail). And/or the airport locker.

Do you think 3 smallish suitcases or using a couple soft sided duffles maybe easier to deal with than one big suitcase?