Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, Paris, and Rome in late September, early October

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 04:44 PM
Tina S

Hi everyone! I'm a first time traveler to Europe and don't have a clue as to what type of clothing to bring. I'll be in London, Paris, Lucerne, Venice, Florence, and Rome during the last couple weeks of September and the first week of October. I live in the Eastern US and weather here, at that time of year, is usually summer-like. I would appreciate any information regarding the climate (especially average temperatures] in the above mentioned cities and advice regarding clothing to pack. I also wondered if there are laundry facilities available so that a minimum of clothing could be packed. So PLEASE, all you experienced European travelers, help this novice out with some information that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 06:52 PM
dimi

Tina, Tina, Tina -
I've been to all of the cities you've mentioned and found what I brought to be sufficient. It was MY experience (and I say this only because you will be hearing from the trustee vagabonds - "Bob the Naviagator" and, "Wes Fowler" in this Forum with their versions)that it was cooler, damp and rainy in the northern cities, while drier sunnier and hotter in the southern cities. Since I like to pack light I did what made the most (common) sense: a rain slicker, a pocket umbrella, linen jacket, pants and shorts with tops to match both (maybe even a cotton sweater), undergarments - accordingly, one pair of beach sandals, one good walking shoe, one closed toe shoe, and one heeled sandal, basic tolietries, a little sewing kit, a little first aid kit, my travel books and calling card. Needless to say, travelers checks or credit cards and very little cash to start. (You're better off changing your money a little at a time.) Of course, all of the clothing I lugged along was packable- meaning I was able to roll it and keep it clear of wrinkles. I also wore most things twice (sometimes three times) and, if I felt the need packed along some detergent and washed my clothes out myself. However, in most cities you will be able to find local laundrymats similiar to the ones at home. Just remember: the less you bring with you in the suitcase on the way in, the more room you'll have for the trinkets you buy along the way for the way out. I don't anyone who reads this topic will disagree with me. And if they do, I'd like to know about it! Good luck and happy trails! Dimi

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 08:56 PM
Paul Bianchina

We've been to London, Rome, Venice and Florence during the same time of year. Rome is more tropical than you'd think, very warm. Take light clothes, casual but not sloppy. Remember that many religous sites will not allow people in shorts - we saw many women in shorts and sleeveless tops turned away from the Vatican. London was cooler - we had frosty mornings during mid-October on our trip, light jacket was appreciated. Venice was the highlight of our stay in Italy, but a tough place to lug a suitcase around. Pack light!! Take outfits that can mix and match easily with others, light-weight, no-wrinkle. Lay everything out at home before you go, then eliminate half of it - it's tough to do the first time, but you won't miss the things you don't take - honest! One suitcase and one carry-on per person is our rule.

Most important thing we found was good walking shoes, especially in Italy where almost everywhere you go you'll be on cobblestones, which are very tough on your feet!

These cities are everything you've ever imagined and more. Have a great time!!