London, Paris AND Rome in 11 days???

Feb 12th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

London, Paris AND Rome in 11 days???

We really want to go to all three of these places, let me know what you guys think of our itinerary:

May 4th - Plane to London (arrive May 5th)
4 nights London
2 nights Paris
Overnight train to Rome
3 nights Rome
May 15th - Home

Feb 12th, 2004, 12:38 PM
rex

It would be a much better idea to fly, in my opinion. See www.volareweb.com - - cheaper and the bed you sleep in doesn't disappear when the train arrives at the station.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM
jenifer

Have you seen any of these places before? And is there any chance you can go back soon?

Everyone has a different travel style, and if you enjoy rushed travel to only see a few highlights, then this might work for you.

Consider that when you arrive May 5 you will most likely be exhausted, and not able to do too much that first day. So, you really have May 6th, 7th and 8th in London (3 full days). I'm guessing you'd take the train to Paris on the 9th in the morning, and have most of that day, plus the 10th and 11th there, so almost 3 days in Paris. Certainly you can see some major highlights in that time, but all the travel may leave you feeling wiped out.

I personally would spend the 11 days in London and Paris with maybe 1 or 2 day trips. Rome is just so far away from the others. But then, that's just my style - not everyone's.

Also, what are your interests in each area? That might help people to help you rearrange the number of days in each place if necessary.

Feb 12th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Fiance really wants to go to Rome and I really want to go to L & P (we've never been to any of these places) so we came up with this itinerary. He thinks we can handle it but I think it may be a little much.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Are you flying from North America? Is this a honeymoon or just a trip?

If you want all three and if you flying transatlantically, then I'd go to the furthest point first, Rome, for four nights. The day is pretty well lost to fatigue anyway, so I'd get the longest leg out of the way.Then fly to Paris, and chunnel or fly to London.
Then end in London, and fly home.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Our interests sorry!!: In London we want to see the usual touristy stuff - Big Ben, Buckingham Palace but then we also want to see castles and maybe Stonehenge. In Paris we want to go to the Louvre and see the Eiffel Tower. In Rome we want to see the Colliseum, Sistine Chapel, etc.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

I didn't think about flying to Rome first, that is a good idea. This will be for our honeymoon
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM

With only 3 days in London, I'd skip Stonehenge, but then it didn't wow me to begin with.
Regardless of the wow factor, three days is barely time to scratch the surface of seeing London.
Save the daytrip for another time
From North America, there are often very cheap off-season deals to London, you can go again.

Congratulations.
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:24 PM

I think I might add a night to Paris. After all, this is your honeymoon and Paris is the most romantic!
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:51 PM

If you don't mind your honeymoon becoming a very busy sightseeeing trip (save a couple of hours in each city for shopping), then don't worry and just do it. 3 year ago my husband and I did the same itinerary except 3 nights L and 3 nights P. Make sure the overnight train compartment is only booked for the 2 of you, we ended up in a "couche" (sp?) compartment with 3 other ladies! Everyone was so tired we all fell asleep at 9, and my husband complained in the morning he couldn't sleep because the women were all snoring!