London Oyster Card / Warwick/Stratford Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be leaving Tuesday and we have some last minute questions.

It appears that it is cheaper to purchase a 7-Day Oyster Card for the Tube than individual 1-day passes. Is anyone familiar with the Oyster Card? A student rate for 7 days is less than 17 GBP for Zones 1, 2, & 3.

I will be taking people's advice and purchasing a British Heritage Pass mainly because of the savings in Warwick and Stratford.

Is it possible to buy a multi-city train ticket from London? For example: London - Warwick by train -bus to Stratford - Stratford to London by train. I don't want to buy one ways because each ticket would be 22 GBP. If not, I guess we could take the bus from Warwick to Stratford and then back to Warwick to catch the train back to London.

If the bus option is the only way, can anyone provide a link of the bus schedules between Warwick and Stratford. I found a schedule between Stratford and Warwick, but not between Warwick and Stratford.

I've checked into train passes and it is cheaper to purchase roundtrips instead of a pass. Thanks for all your help.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Oystercards are a higher-tech way of carrying season tickets than the conventional piece of card. If you're here for just a week, I can't see what benefit they are to you: they just add fuss to buying a 7-day season ticket.

If you're here for longer, there may be some advantages, but then monthly seasons would be cheaper.

It's unlikely you'll qualify for student discounts, unless you're actually studying in London at an institution that's registered for tfl's discount scheme. In which case, you need to talk to the institution concerned. Follow links at athttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2004/general-information-photocards-student.shtml

You can buy complicated tickets from London, but they'll be a lot pricier than a return ticket to Stratford (though if you're planning more than one journey out of town there's a Days Out of London pass that might save you money)

All bus timetables are at www.transportdirect.info
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:35 AM

There are now through trains from London Marylebone to Stratford via Warwick (www.chilternrailways.co.uk). Most train tickets allow you to break your journey, but sometimes only on the way back. It's easiest to ask when you buy your ticket - if the ticket does not allow you to break your journey at Warwick, then buy a return ticket to Stratford, then pay extra to go between Stratford and Warwick or vice versa. There's certainly no need to buy single tickets to and from London, which would be more expensive.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:40 AM

When purchasing your Great British Heritage pass in England, make sure you have your passport with you. You need to prove you are not a UK resident.