London over Thanksgiving

Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

London over Thanksgiving

My husband and I leave for London on Wednesday and arrive at Heathrow at 7am. Our tentative itinerary follows:

THURSDAY
Tube to our hotel (Harlingford Hotel in Bloomsbury) to see if we can check in. If not, drop off our bags.

Find a bus tour and/or breakfast. (any suggestions on either?)

British Museum for 2 to 3 hours - probably do audio highlight tour. (close to our hotel so we can check in if we still need to)

London Walks tour of Old Westminister at 2pm

Dinner at Rules 6pm

FRIDAY
In no particular order...

Buckingham Palace (may catch the changing of the guards)

Cabinet War Rooms

Tower of London

London Walks tour "Jack the Ripper" at 7pm

We need to fit meals in there somewhere - would like a nice pub dinner.

SATURDAY

10 am Shakespeare's London walking tour

Covent Gardens

Walking/Shoppping this afternoon

Maybe a fish and chips dinner (I think there is a place called North Sea near our hotel, or maybe we should find something close to the theater)

See a show this evening (haven't decided which - maybe Blood Brothers)

That is all we have worked out. Do you see any logistical problems?

Should we buy a tube pass for the 3 days?

Thanks for any advice!
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:22 PM

hi shaya,

Don't see anything major wrong with your itinerary...I would do tower of london late in the day since you are interested in the jack the ripper walk(it meets at the tower hill metro stop).

It closes or takes its last tour early so I would get there around 2 0r 3pm and tour until it closes. Then find dinner somewhere around that area and meet at the tower hill stop around 7:15pm.

One word of caution...if you haven't read my trip report of that day, the jack the ripper walk does not end up back at tower hill. I was with "the donald" and he ended us much further north, about 10 blocks away from any tube. I finally found a tube station afterwards, but it was dicey because I forgot my map. make sure to take your city map with you. most of the walks circle back around or have its last stop and then lead you back to a metro. this one didn't.

As for the 3 day pass, it may be too late to order one online. normally you would order it from a particular site and your would receive the actual card about 10 days prior to your trip.

At the last minute like this, you may can get a voucher thru a travel agent and then trade it at the London Transport Travel Information Center at heathrow. If you do, make sure to get just a 3 day 1-2 zone only. although, thru a travel agent it will be more and you have to change out that voucher.

Something I have not been able to verify with anyone....there was rumor that you could buy the London Visitor travelcard (the one we are talking about) at that London Transport Travel Information Centers at heathrow somewhere. (normally you can't buy it once you are in england). I have not been able to verify this, but you might try it.

It would make sense, since that voucher I mentioned, most people exchange there. it might be a possibility that it is also sold at that same desk??? maybe worth checking on.

if not, my suggestion since you have not already bought one, at this point, is to just buy day passes. it will cost you about 5 pds each day. a book of 10 carnets will cost 11-12 pds. Work out how many times you would need the metro to and from to see if the carnets are worth it. If you have to buy more than 1 book, you are better off with the day passes.

hope this helps!
erinb
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:25 PM

opps forgot to mention....normally once in london you have to buy what the locals buy and they do not actually have 3 and 4 day passes like the visitors passes (thats why the visitor passes are such gems)..only a day pass and a 7 day pass. they do have something called a weekender pass good for fri-sun.
Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks erinb - good point about the tower...

I emailed an inquiry about getting the 3 day visitor pass from Heathrow but haven't heard back yet...

Anyone have any advice on bus tours?
What show they'd recommend? Pubs they love? Great shopping?
Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Eeeeeeek! Just cecked the weather reports - rain every day, cold and windy!
I guess we'll get the whole london experience. Should this change my plans any?
Nov 24th, 2003, 05:45 AM

For breakfast on Thursday, how about the Great Court Restaurant at the British Museum?

You don't say if you have been to London before. If not, I would include either Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral. Perhaps do Westminster Abbey instead of the Cabinet War Rooms.

Since you will be looking for supper near the Tower of London, a couple of options are The George pub (you get to walk over the Tower Bridge on the way) or try Cafe Spice Namaste for Indian food.

I haven't tried North Sea, but have it on my list for the next trip. Frommer's says good things about it and I found other positive reports online. Their hours on Saturday are noon-2:30pm and 5:30-10:30pm

Don't get discouraged. Rain every day doesn't have to be rain all day!

Have a nice weekend.

Keith
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions Keith - now the problem is choosing between the restaurants! I am Indian and never cook at home (such a disappointment to my American husband!)...so I am leaning toward Cafe Spice Namaste!
The London Walk on Thursday (Old Westminister) includes the Abbey, I hope in enough detail. It is definitely one of the things we want to do.