London or Paris with a kid

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:37 AM
Dan

London or Paris with a kid

Hi
I would like to go to either Paris or London with my 6 y old son for a weekend in December.
Which place is more attractive? I would like to know places
of interest for kids in each place.
Dan

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:59 AM
Ben Haines

I shan't advise between them, as I am prejudiced in favour of London. But by e-mail I'm sending you notes on what children have liked in the two cities. And notes on Pantomime in London.

Welcome to Europe

Ben Haines, London

Nov 12th, 2001, 06:28 AM
kitty

We've taken our children to London twice, and the first time my son was 6 and my daughter was 10. They loved the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum which both have plenty of interactive areas. They were interested in the Tower of London too. However, the 6 year old did not enjoy going through Windsor or Kensington Castles (my daughter did though). My son's favorite activity, however, was going to Hamley's, a huge FAO Schwartz type toy store. When we went back to Great Britain this past summer for two weeks he really wanted to go to Hamley's again.

The kids also enjoyed riding the subway and trains. That's something we don't get in our area.

My children also enjoyed going to the theatre, and we saw on the first trip Beauty and the Beast, The Importance of Being Earnest, and Starlight Express. This past summer we saw Les Miz and Mamma Mia (the kids were 8 and 12 this time).

We were in Bath this past summer and my son really enjoyed going through the Roman Baths. Warrick Castle was also a big hit as a day trip out of London.

My kids are well behaved and mature so they are pretty easy to take places. The only thing my son can't abide is art museums (his feet immediately hurt when he goes near a piece of art).

I haven't taken the kids to Paris yet because my favorite things to see there are the art museums and since my son hates these I feel it would be a waste.

Good luck and have a wonderful time. I love Great Britain and would go there every year if I could.

Nov 12th, 2001, 09:24 AM
elaine

Dan
In either city you will have a good time, but I recommend London as well.
Take advantage of Ben's file; it's excellent.
For a day trip, go to Hampton Court Palace. Assuming the gardens are open in the winter, the Maze is a tremendous amount of fun.
Starlight Express was a big hit with my 7-year old nephew when he went to London, and as an adult I enjoyed it as well.
Christmas time should be especially magical--have a wonderful trip.

Nov 12th, 2001, 09:30 AM
grasshopper

I would bet a 6 yr old would prefer London but you might want to make sure enough things are open when you're going. We were debating over London or Paris over Christmas and chose Paris because so much seemed to be closed in London. (especially Christmas and the 26th)

Nov 12th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Merilee

I would choose London over Paris if I were traveling with a 6 year old...there's The Tower of London, Hamley's Toy store, Harrod's Santaland, the Mews at Buckingham Palace where you can see the royal family's coaches and carriages...and the observatory in Greenwich, where you and your son can stand in 2 hemispheres at one time.