Barcelona for one day

Search

Barcelona for one day

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona for one day

I'll be in Barcelona for one day via cruise ship. Which would you recommend...wandering around the city for the day or a mid day shore excursion to Montserrat? I'm worried that the shore excursion will chop up the day too much

thanks!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:05 AM

I woudn't go to Monserrat, but Barcelona is a bit sprawling, and not everywhere is optimal for just wandering around, either because it is inefficient and because there can be problems with petty thieves in the old gothic quarter, with its many alleyways. I don't want to exaggerate it, but it's not the same as wandering around Venice.

Isn't it possible to join a walking tour that would show you the best of the city? Something you could book in advance?
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With only a few hours, you won't have much time to wander, but I agree that Montserrat is not a good idea. We were there last week and it was very busy, so much so that it detracted from the trip.

From the port, get yourself to the statue of Columbus at the bottom of the Ramblas, then with the aid of a city map, see the old Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter, then walk up to and through the Placa de Catalunya, up the Passaig de Gracia and see Gaudi's Casa Battilo and then La Pedrera.

Take a cab up to Parc Guell and the Sagrada Familia. This will fill up your day and you'll have a flavour of the City.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:28 AM

As mentioned, Barcelona is so spread out that it's difficult to cover much walking.I suggest you take the on/off bus to give you an overview of the city.
The Barcelona bus is by far the best on/off bus I have ever experienced and worth the price of the ticket!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM

I wouldn't go to Montserrat if I only had one day, you would have to have zero interest in Barcelona to do that. If you did, sure, it would make sense.

Barcelona isn't that big an area in the section near the port/Gothic Qtr and the Ramblas, you can easily walk around there, I did. Sure, Barcelona as an entire city is big, but you can't see that much in one day.

I wouldn't spend my time doing a walking tour, but I can figure out on my own what I want to see. I'd suggest you do the bus turistic, that is a very good way to see things and get around in one day.

But the itinerary of Rubicund would be what I'd do on my own, that isn't a long walk between the port and plaza Catalunya. I wouldn't take a cab to Parc Guell if I only had one day and had all the other things to see first.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, great suggestions!