Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London only or London and Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-only-or-london-and-paris-936942/)

csitju May 29th, 2012 08:51 AM

London only or London and Paris?

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to London in late August. We will be flying out of New York on Wednesday night, August 29th, arriving in London on the morning of Thursday, August 30th. We plan on being in London all of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and flying back Monday.

Here's the dilemma - we went to Paris on an incredible trip two years ago and loved it. We've also discussed trying to get back even for a short period of time when we visited London considering they are so close.

So the question is, does it make any sense to be in London for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and take a Eurostar train Sunday morning to Paris for the day before leaving Europe on Monday, just to have one day in Paris? Or is London so overwhelming with things to see that it would be crazy to leave a day early?

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks everyone!

HG001London May 29th, 2012 08:55 AM

yeah, id say to go for it. You could even come back the same day so if you have the option of staying and leaving from paris then thats even better :-) get the super early eurostar

HG001London May 29th, 2012 08:56 AM

dont get me wrong london can fill weeks but you seem to have a fond memory of paris so think it will be nice to look forward to it while you are in london

csitju May 29th, 2012 09:08 AM

That's a great idea. I had it in mind that we would leave our London hotel and have to check in to one in Paris. You're right, we could arrive in Paris around 11am, stay for the day, and then head back to London at night.

nytraveler May 29th, 2012 09:36 AM

You can certainly go to Paris if you want - but London has enough MAJOR sights for at least 10 days. Before you make decision I would list what you hae to see in London and how long that will take.

PatrickLondon May 29th, 2012 10:08 AM

It's entirely practicable, if not necessarily cheap or restful (NB - to get the prices on Eurostar, you'll need to book well in advance), to leave on an early train and get a good few hours in Paris before returning in the evening. Lots of people do it.

Remember Paris time is an hour ahead of London, so you "lose" an hour going, but get it back returning.

It all depends on what you want to do, what you find interesting or not; but to make it work for you, you'll need to commit to the ticket for Paris pretty early and make that a fixture in your planning.

adrienne May 29th, 2012 11:04 AM

If you had an incredible trip to Paris I would not try for a rushed day trip. I think it will ruin the magic you remember. Save Paris for when you have several days. You'll spend more time getting to and from train station and travel time on the train than you will have in Paris.

Plus, London has more than enough to keep you busy for 4 days.

ira May 29th, 2012 11:39 AM

Hi cj,

Many folks take an early train to Paris and come back that night.

As much as I love Paris, I wouldn't do it.

((I))

valtor May 29th, 2012 11:48 AM

A day in Paris will be very rushed and you spend a lot of time by travelling.
I love Paris more than London. However, there are so many things to see and to do in London and you have only a short time there, so I would stay in London.

uhoh_busted May 29th, 2012 12:10 PM

I agree...You should concentrate on London this trip. You will be going back to Paris again someday.

alanRow May 29th, 2012 12:27 PM

Will a rushed trip do justice to the memories?

Micheline May 29th, 2012 12:49 PM

I would do it only if I were flying back from Paris. Once in Paris you have to stay the night.

jamikins May 29th, 2012 02:43 PM

Keep in mind the Paralympics are going to be starting 29 August so that may impact you. You may want to check out this website for transit impacts. http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/

csitju May 30th, 2012 03:49 AM

Would you think that visiting London during the Paralympics is a bad idea?

jamikins May 30th, 2012 04:06 AM

Not at all just be aware of any transit disruptions in your plans. I don't think most sites, especially those on the western side of central London will be any different. Just something to be aware of!

csitju May 30th, 2012 04:22 AM

Ok thanks. I just didn't know if the city might be so congested and full of street closings. Just want to be prepared and make sure our trip is as good as it can be.

jamikins May 30th, 2012 04:25 AM

Check out the website I gave you for that info...nut street closings shouldn't affect you as you won't be driving and public transport should be taking any closures into account. London is a huge city that can take tonnes of tourists - I just don't want you to plan to take the tube to st pancras for the Eurostar or something and find there is a planned closure or huge queues! Enjoy London!

Bitter May 30th, 2012 05:55 AM

My humble advice: Get out of London, but not to Paris. Take a day trip to Bath or take look into guided tours that will hit several sites outside of London. Consider breaking up your stay in London (instead of taking the day trip at the end).

mamcalice May 30th, 2012 06:23 AM

Paris is my favorite place in the world to visit but London is great, too. With only 4 full days, I would stay in London. London is an amazing city with so much to see and do that you couldn't cover it in 4 weeks let alone 4 days.

Give London the entire 4 days; you will love it.

ParisAmsterdam May 30th, 2012 06:30 AM

I like London a lot but I love Paris. But with the short time you have... only 4 days... I'd stay in London and go back to Paris next trip. I wouldn't take a trip out of London to Bath or elsewhere either... 4 days is all too short.