Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London--Odessa Wharf (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-odessa-wharf-311890/)

tracy Apr 29th, 2003 02:48 PM

London--Odessa Wharf

Does anyone know anything about the Odessa Wharf hotel in London? It is on 7 Odessa Street near Hyde Park. We booked reservations there, but I can't find anything on the internet about the place. They are supposed to be a 4-star place, with free shuttle to the airports. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

janis Apr 29th, 2003 04:46 PM

I'm afraid you are confused. Odessa Wharf is on the far east side of London. it is near Deptford and Greenwich - miles from Hyde Park.

tracy Apr 29th, 2003 05:02 PM

Janis--The place where I booked said that it is near Hyde park? They also said that "water taxis" were available. I am getting concerned. The area that you mentioned--is that far from everything? We are flying into Heathrow and flying out 2 days later, and want to stay in a good location so that we can tour a number of places. What area do you suggest that we stay in?

Thanks so much for your help. I am feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed!

janis Apr 29th, 2003 05:19 PM

What exactly did the hotel say - if it just listed famous sites in London, then Hyde Park MIGHT be included. But Odessa Wharf is in the east end. It is an area where they have converted old docks and wharves to upscale apartments and office developments - but definitely not in tbe center of things nor convenient to much sightseeing. Unfortunately - it isn't even well served by tube or trains - which is probably why they mentioned the water taxis. You will be a long way from everything except Greenwich - and even that is a ways. The closest major site will be the Tower of London - but it would take a while to get there.

Look at a map of London - follow the river as it loops east from the Tower - Odessa Wharf is southeast past Limehouse Reach.

if you have not been to London before, you might want to look for a more central hotel - especially since you are only there for 2 days.

bettyk Apr 29th, 2003 05:26 PM

Tracy, suggest you do a search here on London hotels. There are many that people have vouched for that are in the center of things. Then check www.londontown.com to see what special rates may be available on any of those hotels that meet your needs. If you have more questions on specific hotels, then come back here to Fodors.

PatrickLondon Apr 30th, 2003 12:37 AM

It isn't far from where I live, and it has its own website: www.odessawharf.com. You can check its location on a map at www.multimap.com or www.streetmap.co.uk - there's only one Odessa Street in London.

It's a modern apartment building in the fairly recently-developed part of Docklands between Rotherhithe and Deptford. Quiet, good transport links to central London (I commute to work every day by what they call a water-taxi and what I would call a river bus), but definitely not central in itself and a good half-hour's tube ride from Hyde Park. The area is mainly residential, not over-endowed with night-life or restaurants: fine for someone living here for work or staying here for temporary business, but not ideal for the normal sort of holiday.
Their own site, though over-exuberant, doesn't misrepresent their location - but whichever source did needs to do some proper research, and/or to have a visit from the trading standards people.