Best way to get from London to Bad Ragaz, Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the front end of a September 2012 London holiday I'm adding a weekend trip to Bad Ragaz CH (90km away, toward Chur).

The itinerary would be a direct Virgin flight from Las Vegas to London, somehow get to Zurich, then train to Bad Ragaz, stay Friday night, run a trail race on Saturday, stay Sat. night, then return to London on Sunday to meet up with travel buddies Monday morning.
London to Zurich flights seemed quite expensive for such a short flight.
Would really appreciate any suggestions on best way to get from London to Zurich/Chur.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Working in such a tight timeframe, I don't see how you can do it any other way but fly between London and Zurich and train between Zurich Airport and Bad Ragaz.

Have you investigated the cost of Las Vegas to Zurich, Zurich to London, London to Las Vegas? Or are you spending time in London at the front end?
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Will you actually be in shape to run after spending the best part of two days in transit?
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM

The cheapest way from London to Zurich is Easyjet from Gatwick or Luton, Germanwings or Air Berlin from Stansted (changing at a German airport) and very occasionally (like at weekends outside the ski season) Swiss from London City.

By and large, BA and Swiss don't discount fares between Heathrow and Zurich (they're the only two on this route) unless they have to - especially on Friday afternoons LHR-ZRH, and late Sun/early Mon ZRH-LHR.

If you're expecting to get off a transatlantic flight and connect straight to Zurich, you'll almost certainly be better off finding a LAS-ZRH routing that allows you same airport connections. Which WON'T include London.

If you're starting from London, you must be doing something wrong if you can't find decent fares on Easyjet or the German discounters
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM

You should be looking at multi-city / open jaw tickets for LAS to ZRH, ZRH to LON & LON to LAS.

As others have pointed out Easyjet fly ZRH to LON so you might find it cheaper overall just to book LAS-ZRH & LON-LAS as an open jaw.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good suggestions. Will probably add a day on the front end to be time zone ready to run. I hesitated on open jaw because we like the direct BA or Virgin LAS-LHR but adding Zurich makes open jaw a good option. Wasnt aware of EasyJet but the prices are in my range. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 01:00 AM

<i> I hesitated on open jaw because we like the direct BA or Virgin LAS-LHR but adding Zurich makes open jaw a good option.</i>

There's a good chance that it will involve BA / VS and Heathrow. But if you book it as the way through to Zurich you won't have to collect luggage at Heathrow nor will you have to pass through UK immigration - just follow the signs to Flight Connections, act dumb and let the folk there point you in the right direction.