London now till January: Pantomime

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In London, now is the time for children and the young at heart to enjoy pantomime, absurd slapstick theatre which works from audience participation. The site It’s Behind You, http://www.its-behind-you.com/, lists the productions, and I have copied their list as a clockwise tour of theatres. Afternoon shows are best, as they involve plenty of noisy children in a good time. If you look at the underground map you can choose a theatre that is in a suburb along the line out from your hotel, or the line from London Bridge or Victoria, phone to book with a credit card, ask the bookings officer over the phone to say where to find lunch, and go out to your chosen theatre to lunch and to enjoy yourself. At the Old Vic in Waterloo Sir Ian McKellen plays pantomime dame in Cinderella, which is rare and may well be good. In Greenwich the London Bubble Theatre Company play Cinderella: I admire them for invention and energy. The Acroloons and the Acromaniacs do sensational acrobatics, which seem to me ill suited to pantomime. A pantomime that derives from Spiderman, as I think two of these do, will tend to insider jokes: if you do not know the show and the hero they offer little.

[email protected]

New Wimbledon Theatre. Aladdin. Claire Sweeney, Paul Zerdin, Russ Kane, Robin Asquith, Roger Royle of Spiderman. District line. From 17th Dec

Paul Robeson Theatre, Hounslow. Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Dominic Gray, Hannah Kirton, Adam Morales, Michael Rogerson, Hannah Hall. Piccadilly Line. 9th Dec '04 - 9th Jan '05

Victoria Palace, London. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Lily Savage, Dianne Pilkington, Andrew Kennedy, Rebecca Wheatley, Fogwell Flax, Sean Canning, David Langham. District, Circle or Jubliee line. 17th Dec '04 - 23rd Jan '05.

Brick Lane Music Hall, London Mother Goosed. Directed by Vincent Hayes & Kip Alexander, musical direction by David Wykes. Vincent Hayes, Annabelle Lee, Colin MacLaughlan, Roger Bremble. Circle line to Algate East. You must book a dinner, so there will be few children. 26th Nov '04 - 6th Mar '05

Hackney Empire Theatre. Aladdin. Written and directed by Susie McKenna, choreographed by Frank Thompson, musical direction by Steven Edis. Clive Rowe, Eva Alexander, Tameka Empson, Kat B, Stephen Mathews, Susie McKenna, Omar F. Okai, Carl Pariss, Nikki Stokes, Tony Timberlake, Drew Varley and Sharon D. Clarke as the voice of Carmina. Bus from Liverpool Street. 3rd Dec '04 - 8th Jan '05

Theatre Royal, Stratford East. Sleeping Beauty. Central line to Stratford. 27th Nov '04 - 22nd Jan '05.

Greenwich Theatre. Cinderella. London Bubble Theatre Company. Written and directed by Jonathan Petherbridge. Simon Thomson, Eric MacLennan. Train from London Bridge to Greenwich. Some shows are sold out already: please check http://www.greenwichtheatre.org.uk/. London Bridge by rail to Greenwich. 7th Dec '04 - 15th Jan '05

Old Vic Theatre, London. Aladdin. Directed by Sean Mathias, written by Bille Brown,
original score by Gareth Valentine, choreographed by Wayne McGregor, musical direction by Kevin Amos. Sir Ian McKellen, Maureen Lipman, Roger Allam, Sam Kelly, Ramon Tikaram, Joe McFadden, Cat Simmons, Owen Sharpe, Joanna Page. Tube to Waterloo. 17th Dec '04 - 22nd Jan '05.

Continued….
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

…. Continued

The Broadway Theatre, Catford. Dick Whittington. Brian Hewitt-Jones Productions. James Horne, Michael Bernardin, The Acroloons. Train from London Bridge to Catford or from Blackfriars to Catford Bridge. 20th Dec '04 - 11th Jan '05

Churchill Theatre, Bromley. Aladdin. Jay Bunyan, Karl Howman, Dave Willetts, Tudor Davies, Cezarah Bonner of Spiderman. Train from Victoria to Bromley South. 9th Dec '04 - 16th Jan '05

Ashcroft Theatre, Croydon. Peter Pan. John Challis, Kirsten O'Brien, Barnaby, The Acromaniacs Train from London Bridge or Victoria to East Croydon. 10th Dec '04 to - 9th Jan '05

New Wimbledon Theatre. Aladdin. Claire Sweeney, Paul Zerdin, Russ Kane, Robin Asquith, Roger Royle of Spiderman. District Line, or train from Waterloo to Wimbledon, or 17th Dec '04 - 16th Jan '05

Richmond Theatre. Dick Whittington. John Inman of Basil Brush, Chris Pizzey, Amy Pemberton. District Line, or train from Waterloo to Richmond. 9th Dec '04 - 16th Jan '05

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:36 AM

What a great post, Mr. Haines!
While I'm a Floridian and find it hard to imagine me enjoying London in the cold and dark month of December, the thought of seeing pantomimes almost makes me want to try it.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:49 AM

But Patrick, you're a London regular, aren't you?

I love London in December because it's Christmas - which in my book means it's SUPPOSED to be dark and cold. All the better to see the lights. I work with an Aussie who's used to spending Christmas on the beach, now that's just weird
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:47 AM

Ben,
How fun to see your listing. We won't be in London (unfortunately) but are planning to see plenty of pantomimes in northeast Wales and York on our trip later this month. Our boys are very excited -- we've booked a Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM

Thank you, Mr.Haines for your always valuable posts. I agree with Kate, I love London in the Christmas season. I've spent time there in Dec and have gone there the last 3 Novembers. The weather has been perfect for me. Some of the Christmas lights are already up and the store windows are putting up their holiday decorations. I've been back one week and miss it already!