Reload this Page >

LONDON NIGHTLIFE FOR 30 YR OLD

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:57 AM
SUSAN

HI<BR><BR>I LIVED IN LONDON FOR A FEW YEARS IN MY EARLY TWENTIES AND AM GOING BACK FOR A SHORT TRIP THIS SPRING. WHILE I AM WAY PAST RAVE TEEN STATUS, ARE THERE ANY DANCE CLUBS THAT WON'T SEND MAKE ME FEEL OVER THE HILL? OR ARE DANCE CLUBS EXCLUSIVELY A TWENTY SOMETHING THING? IF SO, WOULD LIVE MUSIC BE A BETTER BET? I AM JUST LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE TO SATY OUT PAST PUB CLOSE: THIS IS VACATION AFTER ALL!<BR><BR>THANKS--

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Annoying

I guess it's all that clubbing that has made you lose your hearing.<BR><BR>PLEASE STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Eric

Who the heck are you to tell anyone how to type? What gall !!!!!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Typemaster

I can tell anyone how to type. I am the god of typing. Who are you to ask me who I am to tell people how to type?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Lindsey

Hi Susan - don't worry, I'm sure you can find somewhere that won't make you feel totally past it! Obviously a lot of the choice depends on the style of music you like - some of the more mainstream chart dance/pop clubs are the hangout of teenagers and you might feel a little out of place, but London nightlife is extremely varied. A big development over recent years is the bar scene - lots of bars now have DJs, dancing and late licenses and are usually 21+. Without knowing your music taste it's hard to recommend specific places, but grab a copy of Time Out when you arrive and check out their club listings, which rate venues by style of music as well as usual audience. Have a great time!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
janis

Eric - Annoying could have said it nicer - but the advice was still good. Susan may not know that ALL CAPS is considered very rude and that most people will not read posts in Caps,<BR><BR>Susan - Besides indicating you are screaming, all caps is very hard to read so many folks just ignore them.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:12 AM
susan

in my office we have an all caps protocol so no, i guess i did not that it is deemed offensive-i don't spend much time on message boards and in fact, this was the first thing i ever posted<BR><BR>thank you for the kind correction (as opposed to the other, more hostile correction)

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Bill

That is ridiculous. Either you can read or you can't. Doesn't matter whether you are reading all caps or not. How silly.<BR><BR>Also, to tell someone not to type in all caps because that means they are shouting is also absurd. The person typing in all caps knows how they feel and most people do not even talk when they type, yet alone shout. <BR><BR>This invention consisting of using all caps to denote shouting is just that, an invention. People can accept that or not. <BR><BR>Smug know-it-alls have always bothered me. I wish you would go to Lonely Planet or anyplace else that is not Fodors and leave the rest of us alone.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Bill

That is ridiculous. Either you can read or you can't. Doesn't matter whether you are reading all caps or not. How silly.<BR><BR>Also, to tell someone not to type in all caps because that means they are shouting is also absurd. The person typing in all caps knows how they feel and most people do not even talk when they type, yet alone shout. <BR><BR>This invention consisting of using all caps to denote shouting is just that, an invention. People can accept that or not. <BR><BR>Smug know-it-alls have always bothered me. I wish you would go to Lonely Planet or anyplace else that is not Fodors and leave the rest of us alone.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:13 AM
topper

to the top

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:21 AM
kavey

Bill<BR><BR>This invention of using writing to communicate is just that, an invention. People can accept it or not.<BR><BR>It's like spelling things a certain way is convention. (In early centuries there were often many spellings for the same word and one spelling became the accepted one just by convention).<BR><BR>In cyberspace, all caps ARE considered to be shouting. No one has to accept it, and there's nothing anyone can do about it, but it is good for people to know about the conventions so they can make their own decisions about whether to adhere to them or not.<BR><BR>That said I do agree it was incredibly rude of Annoying to explain this to Susan in the way he did.<BR><BR>Now that Susan is aware of the convention, she can certainly choose to post in all caps regardless, and hopefully still receive valid responses.<BR><BR>I certainly don't refuse to respond to a message just because it is in all caps though I do find it less pleasant to read.<BR><BR>Susan,<BR>It's my understanding that many Londoners still go clubbing in their 30s but I couldnt advise as to which clubs, I am sure some are more geared to that age group than others. <BR>There are also many live music venues, a friend of mine often goes to a love jazz club which I could find out about from her if you would like.<BR><BR>Kind Regards<BR>Kavey

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Tony Hughes

Not knowing London at all, I cannot comment on a specific club BUT I'd look out for a club running an 80's night etc, which would tend to weed out the younger people and give you a 25-35 age group of clubbers.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:17 AM
janis

I tried posting this but it didn't seem to take. if it ends up being a duplicate, my appologies.<BR><BR>Being well past your age group I don't have that much personal knowledge of the current club scene.<BR><BR>But the first day you are in London pick up a copy of Time Out - it is not just for "tourists" - just about everyon in London uses it to find out what is going on that week. besides the usual theatre,/concert/music listings, it has sections devoted to Clubs, the gay scene, altenative entertainment and the arts plus a lot more. You will find it everywhere - tube stations, trainstations, news agents. grocery stores - -

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Under Fourty

Susan -<BR>Personally I think typing in caps is very appropriate on this forum considering many of the posters - especially the UK ferverent - are - how can I say this delicately - OLD and they can't very well They don't go out to dance clubs - they're in bed probably by 10 pm - they buy hermes scarves and frame them - you get the idea......<BR><BR>Pick up a Time Out London guide. Be sure to pick up a local gay guide because that's where you'll find the best dance clubs listed. I would also suggest for a younger perspective check with Lonely Planet.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Still under fourty

Sorry meant to say "....and they can't hear very well." ( okay - so it was a typo - kill me)<BR><BR>And whatever you do don't ask about anything related to sex on this foum......

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:35 AM
Annoying

Boy, you people need an editor.<BR><BR>Under-fourty??? I guess English is your second language. FORTY!!! Yes, I'm shouting.