Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London: NFL's Oct Match at Wembley Ticket Frenzy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-nfls-oct-match-at-wembley-ticket-frenzy-369360/)

PalenQ May 30th, 2008 06:18 AM

London: NFL's Oct Match at Wembley Ticket Frenzy

Following on the heels of last October's hugely successful regular season NFL tilt that included eventual Super Bowl Champs NY Giants, the NFL's return to London's Wembley Stadium next Oct 26 will feature the N'Orlens Saints and the San Diego Chargers.
Well the first 40,000 ducats put on sale to see the Saints and their cheerleaders come marchin in sold out in an incredible 90 minutes.

Last year's match drew the largest crowd to watch any football match at Wembley or in the U.K. i think - both footballs as the NFL sold out the place and no English footie team has come close to that.

Ah there is a change in the air in England regards footie - American footie seems posed to supplement soccer and return it to being more a pub league.

speckles May 30th, 2008 06:52 AM

Wonder if Cholmondley got a ticket. He'd be first in line, wouldn't he?

PalenQ May 30th, 2008 06:57 AM

Well last year when he was called Audere est farce perhaps i know for a fact that he actually did take in not only the NFL footie thing at Wembley but also NHL hockey tilt at the O2 - he is a closet American sports maniac - i saw him even in the stands at the Ramp Roll Over car thing in London last week.

CW is sitting on the 50 yd line no doubt

speckles May 30th, 2008 07:14 AM

He'll be the guy in the baseball cap, with a hotdog in one hand and a Bud in the other.

willit May 30th, 2008 08:03 AM

81,176 went to see that NFL game - 9000 less than the FA cup semi final and final.

PalenQ May 30th, 2008 08:39 AM

Q: Whats black and brown and looks good on a tottenham fan?

A: A Rottweiler.

PalenQ May 30th, 2008 08:51 AM

What do you say to a tottenham supporter with a good looking bird on his arm?

A: Nice tattoo.

Cholmondley_Warner May 30th, 2008 09:38 AM

Whats the difference between a resident of Detroit and a yoghurt?

Yoghurt has some culture.

The NFL thing didn't sell out - but it did OK for a novelty. The NHL thing did (17.000ish) and that's a possible long term prospect because of the jam rolls over here who love ice hockey.

If the americans are going to introduce any of their "sports" to us they'd be better off with trying to introduce men falling off cows than the other rubbish. At least that has clowns.

As for attending the match? I will be washing my hair (I keep it in a box).

PalenQ May 30th, 2008 09:43 AM

A man desperate at tottenham current situation decides to top himself. In his living room, alone, he prepares to hang himself. At the very last moment, he decides upon wearing his full tottenham kit as his last statement. A neighbour, catching sight of the impending incident, informs the police. On arrival, the police quickly remove the tottenham kit and dress the man in stockings and suspenders. The man, totally confused asks why.
The policeman simply replies:

"it's to avoid embarrassing your family."