London Neighborhood/Hotel Help

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Neighborhood/Hotel Help

Your input on the following will be much appreciated:
Family of four – two teenage girls (14 and 16) – taking first London trip next August. Will want to do all the typical tourist things but will spend perhaps an inordinate amount of time shopping with a focus on hip, trendy-type clothing boutiques. 4-5 days total. We like a nice hotel and absolute cost not as important as value – for example, in NYC I’d rather pay $500 for a $1000 rack room at the Mandarin than pay $350 for a $600 rack room at the Waldorf. Hoping to spend around US$750/day inclusive of VAT for two rooms.

My initial research shows three choices in three areas. I’d appreciate comments from those with London experience on the areas (primarily) but also the specific hotels.

1. Belgravia -- Sheraton Belgravia - 185 GBP per room + VAT

2. Westminster -- 41 Hotel – 200 GBP per room + VAT

3. Bloomsbury – Montague on the Garden – 175 GBP per room + VAT (includes breakfast)

THANKS
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:06 AM

West London for up market shopping so NOT Bloomsbury (British Museum)
Belgravia or Westminster would be fine but I have no experience of staying in the hotels- have you checked Tripadvisor
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Stayed in Belgravia last January and thought it was a wonderful location. Had two of our best meals at an Indian and an Italian restaurant in the neighborhood. Easy to walk to Victoria station which we used as a base for the bus tour, only used the tube once!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Montague on the Garden is very nice. Don't fret about it being in Bloomsbury. Every where is close to everywhere else by public transport. PLus it is walking distance to Covent Garden and other neat areas. Unless you want to be planted right on top of a shopping street, it is a perfectly convenient location.

The 41 is a bit posher than the Montague. It is very central near B'ham Palace. Its not really in a shopping district. But again, one can get anywhere very easily.

The Belgravia Sheraton is in Chesham Place which is not far from Harrods and South Kensington.

Of the three - I'd like the ambience of the 41, and the locations of any of the three.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your prompt and informative responses. Here is one more option for consideration:

Mayfair - Chesterfield - 175GBP + VAT

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM

I would highly recommend the Firmdale group of hotels, particularly the Covent Garden or the Charlotte Street hotels. Beautiful! www.firmdale.com