Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London neighborhood help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-neighborhood-help-942473/)

swalter518 Jul 11th, 2012 06:09 PM

London neighborhood help

Hi all, I admit I know nothing about London. I'm looking for a neighborhood suggestion to find a hotel for a family trip-two parents, 3 teenagers for London. I'd like it to be centrally located within walking distance if possible to some of the the city highlights. We're just in the beginning stages of planning and any insight on locations would be appreciated.

nytraveler Jul 11th, 2012 06:29 PM

You really need to provide a budget (specific amount in pounds or $) and what type of accommodation you are looking for - a suite - a double plus a triple?

London is large and sights are spread out all over. The most central places allow you to walk to the most sights - but are also the most expensive. There are some further west - South Kensington - that are close to some of the museums and Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens.

Seamus Jul 11th, 2012 06:58 PM

If you know nothing then you won't have to overcome prejudices. (OK, so I'm wearing the Pollyanna frock today ;-))
Have a look at some general overview info - the destination section right here on Fodor's is a good place to start. You can use it to help narrow down your choices by answering some questions:
Which are the priority must see places for your group - museums? parks? palaces? monuments? architecture? historical stuff? shopping? other?
How much time you will have in London and when will you be there?
What is your budget? (Warning - London is an expensive place to visit. Worth it, but expensive.) Do you want connecting rooms in a hotel? A suite? A family room to accommodate all 5 of you would be difficult to find. Have you thought about the option of an apartment? Compared to the cost of 2 or 3 hotel rooms it may be more economical an option.

As nytraveler notes, London is large and spread out. There is good public transport, and being close to a tube station makes an otherwise mediocre accommodation more attractive.

sbsjsf Jul 11th, 2012 07:11 PM

http://www.limetreehotel.co.uk/
I loved Lime Tree in the lovely Belgravia neighborhood. Public transit options abound within easy walking distance. The staff was genuinely welcoming, the breakfast was delicious and the accommodations are lovely. On top of all that the tariff was reasonable and it is across the street from a very popular bakery.

CaliNurse Jul 11th, 2012 07:38 PM

I would look for a place near lots of restaurants, shops, etc. As in any city, some areas /streets are quieter/more residential--some more commercial.
It will be fun for the kids to walk out the door of the hotel sometimes on their own, and just go block or two to "hang out."
i recently returned from London with 10 and 14 yr olds. We all loved the 2 bedroom flat itself, and I loved the quiet street we were on, but they would have preferred a bit more "action" just outside the door.
This was in a lovely, quiet part of Westminster.

One area that does have food just outside the door of several hotels, is the Gloucester Road Tube Station area. Another is the area by the Hilton London Tower across the Thames from Tower of London) with a beautiful arcade , food shops, etc , next to it.
Thee are far from the numerous places--just two I know pf, to give an example.

jamikins Jul 11th, 2012 10:39 PM

Bayswater and south kensington are popular places to stay

Avalon2 Jul 11th, 2012 11:39 PM

I prefer the South Kensington Gloucester rd area Lots of shops and cafes and walking distance to 2 musei-ums and shopping and transportation is great, both bus and tube. I get goon haotel prices on Londontown.com.

alanRow Jul 12th, 2012 03:27 AM

<i>3 teenagers for London</i>

Why do people say this - 13 yr olds are totally different from 19 yr olds yet both are teenagers

swalter518 Jul 12th, 2012 09:22 AM

Thanks everyone. We are open to looking at both apartments and hotels, but it would have to be adjoining rooms in a hotel. The children at 13 and 16 and I think something more on the lively side, than quiet, would be the preference.