Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: Montcalm Nikko or Halkin (or your favorite London business hotel)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to everybody,

I've been seeing tempting rates for both the Montcalm Nikko and the Halkin, and I'm wondering how they rate with you for quiet, service, room size, etc. Is the Montcalm Nikko better situated for neighborhood restaurants? I'm a little worried about the Halkin in that regard.

I need to be in London on business and mainly want convenient access to Whitehall and Westminster rather than the City, but I don't want to stay in Westminster. I'm trying to keep to 200GBP or less, so I'm open to other suggestions. Is it still the case there is nothing outstanding on the south bank? I wouldn't mind being across Westminster Bridge if there were.

Many thanks in advance for your attention and responses.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Anybody? I'm also now looking at the Mandeville.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:16 AM

surprised someone hasn't suggested to check priceline-- for that area i would. First use the bidding info service www.biddingfortravel.com
you'll find westminster area hotels, south bank, everything by area. You have a budget that would make a good upgrade on a priceline deal in that area. try it and bid low just to get an idea how it works, you might get lucky and find something great. check the hotels with tripadvisor or here; on the whole i think tripadvisor gives you a better cross section of travelers and all opinions, good and bad.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM

There's a Marriot in County Hall. That's perfect for your location. Needless to say i have no idea what its like as a hotel.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

My feeling about priceline is that I don't have much control over the room selection. Also, I've previously tried to get a hang for using the system, and I just don't get it. I feel like if I make a mistake, I'll be locked into it.

Am I being needlessly flummoxed?

I've dropped the idea of staying at the Halkin, but I'm finding other hotels near it priced at between 115GBP and 130GBP, and I know the type of room I'm getting.

Do you think I can do much better on priceline?

audere,

Alas, the County Hall is beyond my budget and I've since concluded the South Bank isn't really practical for this particular stay.

Thanks to you both!