Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - Mary Poppins & New Years Day Parade?

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Gin

Hi all,

I've gotten such great information from my own questions and browsing these posts that I will try my luck one more time before we leave for London on Dec 28. In telling my 3-yr old about our trip, I personalized it for her by telling her it's where Mary Poppins lives (her favorite movie!). Now I have to find some rooftops where chimney sweeps would have danced, a house that looks like the Banks', the park where they flew their kites and hopefully, some pigeons in Trafalgar Square. Anyone have any ideas? Also wonder if the parade is worth doing on New Years Day and if so, where is the best viewing spot? Thanks and happy holidays!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Joanne

Good luck! What fun!

Not sure about the location of Cherry Tree Lane, but you CAN get tours of the Bank of England, presumably where Mr. Banks worked!

You will have no trouble finding pigeons.

We saw an absolutely spectacular screever (pavement artist) outside of St. Paul's Cathedral (though they might be a bit out of season), which of course is where the bird lady sold pigeon food (bring your own this time).

Perhaps one of our Londoner readers can tell you where there might be a neighborhood of Edwardian townhouses within walking distance of St. Paul's.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 05:55 PM
carolyn

And you won't have any trouble with chimney pots. They are everywhere.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 10:28 PM
chris

My In-Laws who live near London swear that the New Year's Day Parade is fab. A lot of American High Schools/College Marching Bands participate. So this year I'm going. I'm told that the best place to be is near the Ritz from about 1pm.

http://www.londonparade.co.uk/
Here is the website with route info.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Gin

Thanks for all these ideas and advice! I'm getting so excited!