London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale

Hi
Was able to book this hotel for 6 days in March for 99 pounds including breakfast. Is that a good rate?? How is the area around there??? Is this a good place to stay for sight seeing??
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM

On which website, if you don't mind my asking?
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Excellent price but I'd prefer to be closer to things... I'd probably stay at the Marriott County Hall.

Do a google map search to see how far it is away from what you want to see.

You can check marriottrewardsinsiders.com to search for members' comments on this and other London properties. If you are not currently a member, you can sign up for free.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM

I wouldn't stay there myself unless it was a pretty big discount. £99 inc breakfast isn't bad - not over the moon wonderful, but OK. Nice hotel - semi-inconvenient location. It really isn't in Maida Vale, its more like Kilburn.

You could do worse, but also better.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:59 PM

Like many London hotels, this place is deceitful in its title.

Maida Vale is a traditionally "genteel" residential area, including a modest amount of attractive, house-lined, canal. From most of Maida Vale, there are really lovely walks, along the canal or on tree-lined avenues, elsewhere.

Kilburn - where this hotel actually is - is traditionally where Irish (practically all single male manual workers) temporary migrants took lodgings. Till very recently, many of its pubs were hotbeds of fundraising for terrorism, and the area had a reasonably well-founded reputation for a fair amount of public violence along its main streets at pub closing time (though that violence rarely affected uninvolved passers-by). These days it's just another slightly grubby, reasonably cosmopolitan, modestly affluent and mildly fashionable (in a sort of media industry/leftwing politician kind of way) inner suburb - with reasonable buses and tubes, a better than average pub music scene, a couple of slightly innovcative theatres and a lot of just about OK ethnic restaurants. Kilburn's a perfectly respectable, going on modish, safe place to live: it's just an unmotivating name to give a hotel. And if you wanted to rent a reasonably-placed flat somwhere the kind of Londoners who work and play in the centre live, it'd be a good choice.

Like almost everywhere in inner suburban London, it's OK to get elsewhere - but as others have said, it's less convenient for tourist attractions than places closer to the middle.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.The Marriot County Hall is out of our price range. Does anyone have a specific hotel name that I can check that is closer to sight seeing and about the same price range.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Reread flanneruk's post. He didn't say anything about the area that would discourage me from staying there, especially if I were interested in more than the standard tourist destinations.

It sounds a lot like Islington 25-30 years ago or areas that emerger in Boston and New York as other areas have become too expensive. Who would have gone to Somerville, MA, or the Meat Packing district in NY a few years ago?