Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Markets - Bayswater Road, Camden Lock, Camden Passage, etc.

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The website Street Sensation had a great listing of a bunch of London markets (www.streetsensation.co.uk/markets.htm). After reading it I'm left pondering which ones are worth going to. I searched in the old messages but ones dating to 2003 seem like they might be a bit dated.

So here goes...We were planning on going to Portobello Road on Saturday and Spitafields/Petticoat Lane/Brick Lane on Sunday. Here are the others that they listed that looked like they might be worth while...

Church Street Market
Camden Lock
Camden Passage
Bayswater Road
Antiquarius Antique Centre
Gray's Antiques Market
Covent Garden

We like antiques, crafts, and general knick knacky things. I guess we would tend towards mid to high level items. If any of these are worth going to, are there certain days that are better than others? I realize there is no way we can do everything since we are in London for 7 days but I'd love some great advice on this subject.

Thanks a bunch - Pam
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM

I go to markets for food not antiques so am no expert but Portobello Road on a Saturday is hugely enjoyable if very busy in July/August - a bit less so in the Winter. Sorry can't help with the others but if you want a great food market go to Borough Market at the weekend.

Hope other can post more useful info.

Diz01
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM
tod

My choices would be Covent Garden for just browsing - no antiques, then Portobello for "junktique" - the real stuff is in shops(not out on the sidewalk) in Portobello Road & quite pricey.
Camden Lock is also a browsers paradise of anything and everything - did not see antiques as such.
Camden Passage has a few antique shops.
Bayswater Road on a Sunday has paintings and sketches mostly all lining the park railing.
Haven't been to the others escept Brick Lane but only saw cheap leather jackets & clothing.
I have wanted to go to Borough Market just for the food! Next trip!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Antiquarius and Gray's are a more upscale than the others listed. Camden Passage only has outside vendors on Sat and Wed, many of the inside shops have varying hours. The Covent Garden Monday Antiques Market is small but fun to go to and usually not terribly crowded.

If you decide on a food market, I'd suggest Borough MArket on Fridays..it the best one I've visited in London.

You might also want to look into Alfie's, another center but a bit more affordable.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:23 AM

In addition, you might want to check if there are any fairs operating on the days you'll be there. These are often held in hotels or town halls on Sundays
See
http://www.penman-fairs.co.uk
http://www.gbaw.co.uk
http://www.adams-antiques-fair.co.uk
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Sorry that should have been
http://www.adams-antiques-fairs.co.uk/
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Church St Market is just an ordinary street market (ie used to sell just fruit, veg and a bit of other fresh food. Now has wall to wall remaindered clothes) most of the week. I understand there's some interesting non-food Fri and Sat, but never been

Camden Lock is for Young People. Interesting if you like what they like, or are a child of the Love Generation trying to recreate your youth. Food stalls, BTW, are AWFUL.

Camden Passage. Permanent, high-quality antique shops open every day. Good quality antique stalls on whatever days the site says the stalls are open.

Bayswater Road. Two-dimensional art on railings. 90% strictly for the most undiscriminating tourists, though sometimes you can spot nice watercolours

Antiquarius and Gray's. Permanent malls of high quality small antique shops. As with the permanent shops at Camden Passage, zero chance of a bargain. For that you MIGHT strike lucky at Bermondsey. But, literally, you have to get up VERY early in the morning to beat the professionals

Covent Garden. A few dozen craft-like stalls with occasionally interesting gewgaws. mostly semi-mass produced by "craftspeople" (that is, one-man operatorsa, with a few bright ideas and modest craft skill)

If you're looking for proper antiques, the permanent shops at Gray's etc are fine.