London/Malta/Italy/France

Mar 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

London/Malta/Italy/France

Have only got two weeks to see London/Malta/Italy/France. If I spend three days in each of these countries - would I see the main tourist attractions. Would only go to Rome in Italy and Paris in France. London is where I fly into but only need to see a couple of places there. Do you think I can do this and what would be the least expensive way. Any ideas. I am 53 travelling with my daughter who is 23. Thanks
Mar 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM

The answer is the same as when you called this post Ideas. No - there's now ay you can do this and see much of anything. You will spend a large part of your time - and money - in travel, rather than actually seeing or doing anything. Getting from London to Paris by train s easy. After that you need to fly - given your VERY limited number of days. And why Malta??? Not a bad place to go - but hardly on the top 5 list of most people.
Mar 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Here is what I said about Malta on another post. I have to say I don't think it's a good idea to fit it in with your other plans. Too much rushing about.

gertie3751 on Mar 16, 09 at 04:42 PM

We are just back from 5 days in Malta. We loved it, spent all our time bouncing around on the buses. Had a fantastic apartment in the middle of Valletta with a spectacular view over the Grand Harbour. The fishing port of Marsaxlokk was so colourful and picturesque; we pigged out on seafood and drank bottles of red wine. Had a day in Mdina and Rabat where we wandered around the narrow twisty streets, found a good restaurant opposite the Cathedral in Rabat. Also went to see the Roman Villa, nice mosaics but otherwise a bit underwhelming. Another day in Gozo by bus and ferry, took the bus up to Victoria and went up to the highest point in the citadel. Ta Rikkardo right up against the castle walls has delicious local fish soup, handmade pasta and home-made wine. Then we wandered around the streets of the old town and fell over a beautiful Baroque church. One of the most impressive sights in Gozo was all the huge ornate churches in the middle of nowhere.
Valletta was a good base and the apartment was perfect. But there was nothing doing in the evening, in fact, it was quite a challenge finding somewhere open for dinner and drinks. We arrived on a Monday night and the place was like a ghost town. Big contrast between night and day in Valletta. Having said that, it's a beautiful Baroque town with golden stone buildings which catch the evening light.
There are numerous tiny shops in the back streets that I haven't seen since the 50s in UK...drapers, haberdashers, little men working at sewing machines and real old world cobblers. We could have got suits and shoes hand-made if we'd had longer. And the cars; it's rather like the UK version of Cuba: vintage models that were on the road when I was a child. Not to mention the buses which were a law unto themselves and definitely kings of the road; they all had their own personality and gave painful meaning to the word bone-shaker.
We didn't do much in the way of actual 'sights' rather spent out time hanging around getting the feel of the island and eating and drinking. I would have liked another couple of days to do some more. An excuse to go again.
Mar 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Hi Connie,

I see you've narrowed France and Italy to Paris and Rome which makes the trip easier.

I think getting to Malta is going to add a lot of expense to your trip. Is there any particular reason that you want to see Malta. I've been there (12 days) and thought it was great but as nytraveler says it's not in the mainstream and not nearly as interesting as Rome and Paris.

My suggestions based on your new input:

London - 2 days
Rome - fly from London - 5 days
Paris - fly from Rome - 5 days

The other 2 days will be taken up with travel time.

In Rome you can stay in convents to reduce costs.
http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html

Or stay in hostels in both Paris and Rome (see hostelworld.com for ratings and availability). But make sure that the hostels are centrally located so you don't spend a lot of time and money getting to the main sights.

Get copies of Let's Go guidebooks for information on budget travel.
Mar 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
yk

It doesn't sound like you really want to go to London, so why not just skip it? With 2 weeks, you can leisurely see Paris and Rome.

If London is a must, then do 4-4-4. Make sure you fly out of Rome so you won't waste your time and money backtracking to London.
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for your info. But Malta is the main reason I am travelling. Got frequent flyer pts to London. I was born in Malta and have not been there since I was 8 months old - so will definitely going there - maybe I will bypass Italy and fly from Malta to Paris instead. Thanks for that.