London-maide Vale-Gatwick

Feb 10th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

London-maide Vale-Gatwick

I think we have this figured out.
We have a teenage daughter who will be wearing a leg brace.
We will me staying at the Maide Vale Marriott which is .3 miles to the Kilburn Park Tube Station.
Our plan is to drive our rental car from Wiltshire County on a Thursday morning, and instead of turning the car in at Gatwick or Heathrow, we plan to keep it the extra days and then drive the car straight from Bradford on Avon to the Maide Vale Marriott. Park the car at the cost of 17 pounds a day for 3 days. WE ARE THINKING THAT WE COULD WALK THE .3 MILE TO KILBURN STATION AND TAKE THE TUBE INTO THE LONDON TOURIST DISTRICT AND THEN TAKE THE HOP-ON-HOP-OFF BUS FOR TOURING. OR IF ANYONE THINKS THE WALK TO KILBURN STATION FORM THE MAIDE VALE MARRIOTT IS TO FAR OR MORE THAN THE .3 MILE, WE COULD TAKE A CAB TO WHERE EVER IT IS YOU CAN GET THE HOP-ONHOP-OFF BUS.
Then on the day we have to take our flight out which leaves at 1230 on a Saturday at Gatwick, our new plan is to get back in our rental car and drive to Gatwick early Saturday morning-either through the city or drive around the city-whichever is doable. our thought is that keeping the rent a car doesn't really change the price 5 days 1 week all the same price. The cost to park the car is actually less than the cost of taking the express trains and cab fares to and from the airport. (reason for booking Maide Vale Marriott is: good hotel that can accommodate 3 and we get a discount-68 pounds per night with breakfast. This plan would eliminate dragging our luggage on the tube or trains and our daughter would just have to get in and out of the rental car for the trip to the Hotel and to the airport.
I am asking for any thoughts whether this new plan would work or what wont work.

Any input/advice is appreciated.
Feb 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Yes, if there isn't a drop-off charge at Gatwick that upsets your math, then your plan is workable. The £51 parking is a little more than I would pay to drive through/around London, since the Southern Train from Victoria to Gatwick only costs £22.25 for the lot of you (£13.35 if you can get a twofer).

The Kilburn Park station is 10 minutes from the Baker Street station on the Bakerloo Line (Direction: Elephant & Castle), whence the www.theoriginaltour.co.uk begins.

If climbing down into the ground and out again is a problem, the #414 bus stops almost directly in front of your hotel, and will get you to Marble Arch in 24 minutes, another place the tour starts.
Feb 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Very good plan....don't see any probs.

Just remember it's Maida Vale!!
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way.

But you've clearly never been to Britain before. You've never driven in London. You don't travel much (otherwise you wouldn't assume strangers would have the foggiest idea what time YOU need to be at an airport for a flight whose operator and destination only YOU know)

And assimilating information from other people isn't your strong point. That at least is the most charitable explanation for your STILL getting the hotel name and its tube station wrong, in spite of at least half a dozen people - and the bloody hotel's own web site - telling you the correct names.

And these things matter in London. Kilburn Park tube station is miles away (or at any rate feels miles away) from Kilburn tube station. In a city where most people you'll encounter were born abroad, asking for Madre Vale or whatever bizarre twist for the place you invent in your next post will get you greeted with endless stares and even more imaginative inventions for where you really want to be.

So it's almost certainly a really, really, really rotten idea for your first proper experience of driving in London to be navigating yourself to Gatwick (a destination practically no-one in London knows how to drive to, because no-one who lives in in London would dream of driving there in a month of Sundays under the stress of getting yourselves out of a subterranean car park, through suburban London's shopping streets on a Saturday morning and needing to get the car dropped off at the car hire place in time to check in for this unidentified plane at whatever time it is you need to be there.

Don't do it.

Leave the car at Heathrow, and stop trying to save every last pound in a town whose systems you've no experience of. Otherwise you'll end up getting up at 3 am, and spending all Friday night fretting about it, or missing the plane and spending thousands on new seats.
Feb 11th, 2007, 05:14 AM

flanneruk is telling you the truth here. Listen to him. You also have posted this same question several times and have another rather lengthly post with many answers (including mine) on this board. You need to read these answers carefully, people are telling you these things to help you.

You do not seem to be a seasoned traveler (at least not in the UK) and you have no comprehension of distances and/or London traffic so I'd suggest re-reading all the answers you got and understanding why people have said what they said. People are trying to help you.
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM

PLEASE ditch the entire car idea (and read all the posts on your other thread)

Spend the parking money on a better located hotel. We are really truly trying to help you here. Your cheap hotel is going to cost you mightily in parking fees, and problems driving to Gatwick.

Driving from NW London to Heathrow - not a nightmare. Practically a piece of cake - though congested and slow going. Driving from NW London to Gatwick can be an absolute TOTAL nightmare in comparison. True - you'd be driving it on a Saturday morning. But there is no motorway, or expressway for that route.

Unless you have already paid for everything and it is non-refundable (which isn't likely) I would most definitely 1) change the car drop off to LHR, 2) cancel the hotel and book one where you can actually get to sites w/o a trek across most of London.
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Just because a couple of people say your current plan is doable ( and probably only by seasoned Brits) doesn't prevent it from being insane! Please don't ruin your first trip to Britain by trying to follow through with this idiocy. Follow janisj's two point plan and really enjoy your trip.
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM

"Just because a couple of people say your current plan is doable doesn't prevent it from being insane!"

Just because a couple of people say your current plan is insane doesn't prevent it from being feasible ("doable" in the current parlance).

See how you feel driving around the outskirts of London (on your way to Maida Vale). If you encounter any problems or just don't feel comfortable, this might temper your enthusiasm for a drive to Gatwick. If you decide on the drive, I suggest you allow at least six hours to get there, return the car, and check in. Since you will have the roads practically to yourself for the first couple of hours, the traffic conditions the doomsayers cite will probably not pertain.

I wouldn't attempt it myself, but I don't have a teen in a brace. Good luck.
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I have been to London, but I've never driven there, and never wanted to drive there. I know for certain that spending an optimistic six hours navigating London's fantastically confusing streets is not how I would want to eat up about a sixth of my waking hours in that fascinating city.

Your plan is going to make you and your family hate London, which is too bad.

Priceline can get you into a much, much more central hotel which is much, much closer than .3 mile to the tube for less than 68 pounds, I'm sure of it. And your hotel isn't GBP 68, it's GBP 68+17= GBP 85, because you're paying a huge sum to store a completely useless car for three days. And you're in Kilburn, which isn't where you want to be. You could hire a car to the airport for less, I imagine.

The psychic cost of making your and your family's time in London ten times more difficult than it needs to be is the biggest factor here. Make it easy on yourself. Listen to the people here.
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Some of the "psychic cost" is providing for the mobility of a person who doesn't walk as readily as you and I. It's a lot easier to get on a bus than it is to negotiate the stairs and escalators of a Tube station. The distance to the Tube stop is an additional impediment.

It's plankster's call to make, not ours. All we should do is offer possibilities.
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Unfortunately Priceline really isn't an option for planksters since they need a triple.

But that doesn't mean you need to stay out there. The £69 per night, plus £17 per night to park the car gets you to £86 per night. You can easily find a place in central London for £80-£100 per night and not have to schlepp back and forth to Maida Vale/Kilburn several times a day.
Feb 11th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Keeping in mind that if you don't have the car, you have to pay to get from wherever you return it to the hotel and from the hotel to Gatwick.

So the net is probably close to that £86 no matter what anyone suggests to the contrary. And the transport detailed above will apply no matter where you stay - your bus stop is 16 minutes from Marble Arch, according to www.tfl.gov.uk - and buses run every 3 minutes.

I usually analyze linear programming exercises like this using a spreadsheet - just so I don't leave anything out.

BTW - Adults can ride the TfL buses all day for £3 - no zone restrictions or premium for peak period travel. For kids, see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...-discounts.pdf
Feb 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Well you have our advice its up to you now, LETS cut the post now as if you havnt listened by now ur wasting our time
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I respectfully dissent. The more variations planksters hears, the more meaningful a choice can be made.

"Shut down the thread" is equivalent to "my mind is made up; don't confuse me with facts."
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM

The only new wrinkles will be how to plot/arrange one's spread sheet of transport options (a SPREAD SHEET for Gawd sakes!!).

Driving, keeping/paying for a car, and staying out at Maida Vale for anyone - but even more so for a family w/ a physically challenged child - is a great way to ruin the end of a terrif English holiday.
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM

Sez you. When you've traveled with a teenage daughter who is wearing a leg brace, your judgments will count.

Absent that criterion, your recommendations are no more than opinion.

As are mine.

The parameters are easier to accumulate and track if each scenario is written down. The spreadsheet automates the math. Got a problem with that?

p.s. I don't know what "out at" Maida Vale means. As pointed out above, the hotel stop is 16 minutes by bus from Marble Arch, whence 21 bus lines radiate to all points in London. The Tube station is nearby for long-distance travel, but the climbing might be too rigorous for the daughter.
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM

How about an 76 yo w/ a walker -- close enough for you?????

Feb 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM

No, not really.
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Also bear in mind that most people who live in London don't even bother ahvaing a car as it's a liability.

Although I too would question that "out at Maida Vale". I lived in Maida Vale for 7 years and could walk to Selfridges in 25 minutes - mind you, that was from proper Maida Vale, not Kilburn
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM

I disagree with R. I think the poor horse is dead, and we should quit whipping it. We haven't heard from planksters since she first posted. Begining to wonder if planksters is actually 'pranksters'.

Search this Thread