Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Location- Beloved Bloomsbury or Upgraded Hotel in Kensington??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have not been to london in 30 years-- since my first adventure to europe. on my first trip, i stayed at the y.w.c.a. in bloomsbury and loved every moment. so there's this huge place in my heart for bloomsbury area.

however, this trip, (with limited funds) we will have to stay in a rather dusty spot in order to make bloomsbury work. (unless we're really lucky with priceline.) there is a really nice hotel-- with upgraded room and daily wine, etc.-- for about the same price in kensington (near south kensington station.) should i go with my heart and stay in the dusty inn, or stay at the newly renovated 4* in kensington??

is kensington a pretty area with english charm? is it easy to get around? any thoughts??
thanks,
kawh
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kensington is very nice, and very handy for may favorite museum, the V&A. But have you tried the Arosfa or the Ridgemount in Bloomsbury?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM

What's the Kensington Hotel? I need one.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it is near the S. Kens. tube station, it isn't in Kensington, it is in . . . <u>South</u> Kensington (or possibly Knightsbridge, or Chelsea). For visitors, S. Kensington is more convenient than Kensington.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Have you also looked at B&Bs in Bloomsbury and/or Kensington?

You never stated your budget...
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd- thanks for info. is kensington (near s. kensington station) nice for walking around?? many restaurants? what can you tell me about the area? hadn't thought about going to the v&a museum-- just the british museum-- but will look into it. (is it free, by the way? )

so i did check out 'arosfa' but thought it was fully booked. checked again, after your note, and see that it only shows booked through outside sites-- when i went in through their own site, it seems to have availability. so i may just go with the arosfa...

tuscanlifeedit-- the hotel in kensington i was looking at was the london regency. they have recently remodeled and have upgraded double rooms, with access to a private lounge that provides breakfast and drinks in the evening for 97. (must book 3 nights)
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i> is kensington (near s. kensington station) nice for walking around?? many restaurants? what can you tell me about the area?</i>"

>>100 Queen's Gate
<u>South</u> Kensington
London SW7 5AG<<

Once again - it is not in "Kensington"- different neighborhood.

Which is a good thing from a convenience/transport stand point. The hotel is midway between the South Kensington and Gloucester Rd tube stations. There are hundreds of places to eat/drink/shop w/i a short walk. Plus all the museums are practically on your doorstep (V&A, Natural History, Science). Close to Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

janisj-- oops-- i posted before seeing your note. thanks for that... yikes. didn't realize they are totally different places. that's what happens when you look at little maps on a little screen. i need to get a good old-fashioned paper map!

ok-- so i have 2 good choices. maybe time to explore a new home-base.
kawh
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
hsv

South Ken hands down.
Lots of restaurant options on Fulham Road, Old Brompton Road, Harrington Road.
Kings Road shopping and the museums (V&A, Natural History, Science) within walking distance.
Even Knightsbridge and Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens are within easy reach.
And convenient tube lines with Central, District and Piccadilly (nonstop LHR in about 42 min) at South Ken station.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:38 PM

And great bus transport. The 49 a short walk from Queens gate will take you to Kings Rd and all the shop, Saatchi Gallery and from Chelsea Old Town Hall you can transfer to the 11 o 22 and get just about anyplace in London
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kawh - yes, all the big London museums are free.

I really like the Bloomsbury neighborhood - plenty of places to eat, good tube and bus transport, parks, walking distance to museums and Covent Garden - but then it's hard to find an inner London area that doesn't have something going for it.

Did you price the Regency through a booking site, and if so which one? I notice the prices on its own website don't include VAT (20%, I believe), or breakfast. The Ridgemount (next door to Arosfa and nicer bathrooms, at least in the small singles) is cheaper and includes breakfast. But then, I prefer smaller places.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Check ot Londontown.com for good deals on the MIllenium otels both right across the street from the Gloucester Rd tube station
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

avalon-- thank you for the link to londontown.com. i checked a few random hotels-- and their prices beat all the others i could find by a mile!! oh, no! this complicates things.

usually we prefer small, funky places when we travel. however-- this will be the beginning of a 3-week trip to italy, where we will stay in many funky places (including a room in someone's home in bologna --our first airbnb experience.) so the thought of a really comfy room in a sanno hotel does appeal in this case. your web site has put some new places into play-- including the crowne plaza st. james. would that be a good location for a tourist-- or is it too far from the reasonably priced local restaurants and shops??
thanks much, all-
kawh