*Must See Wineries in Tuscany, Italy*

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are celebrating our 20th Anniversary, staying near Certaldo, Italy for 10 days in early October, 2011. We are 37 years old and do not really want to have a 'set' schedule but do want to make reservations ahead of time, where needed. This is our second time to Italy, but our first 'stay' in Tuscany. Our goal is to have a very relaxed visit, visit wineries, buy some beautiful ceramics or other arts, and take long drives, and of course eat and drink well! We also plan on taking what looks like one incredible cooking class in Cortona. I am a photographer, so we are also hoping to visit the most amazing of photographic sites, in hoping to enlarge some for wall art. Any suggestions on the most beautiful of settings regarding wineries and great red wine would be appreciated! Also, any 'not to be missed' opportunities of any kind would be appreciated. We really love to visit 'off the beaten' path and the places 'less traveled' . Thank You so very much or I shall say Grazie!! Happy Travels!
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 06:03 AM

I am curious why you picked the Certaldo location if red wine and photograpy are your focus. There are better options.
The most notable reds are much further south in Tuscany---Montalcino and Montepulciano. And, the photo book shots you often see of Tuscany are also in that area. The best wine in that area is actually a white wine---Vernaccia. Be sure to get tons of shots in Volterra, San Gim. and Certaldo Alta.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi! We are staying at a unique winery, B and B, that is outside of Certaldo, but also close to Siena. We plan on spending time in Siena, Cortona, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Gimignano, etc. We had read the location is superb for visiting these other towns. Perhaps, we will discover there were better options than staying near Certaldo. Thanks for the advice!! I have done some research on those areas. I will look further into them and really curious about Volterra now.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM
DRJ

FWIW: We stayed in an apartment at Fattoria Barbi, a major Brunello maker, a few years ago. Its a mile or two south of Montalcino. I assume they have a website.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM

OK---good destinations to visit, but you need to plot out the driving times. Tuscany may be larger than you think---some of those will be a 2 hour drive each way. Look at the Google Maps program but then add 10 to 20% to the driving times. Who told you that location was good to visit Cortona or Montepulciano---the rental agent? Location means everything in Tuscany. As a former Hoosier, I wanted you to know.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Here are some pics you may enjoy in Tuscany and Italy:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...at=3827&page=1
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks DRJ, I will take a look and hoping to find some great Brunello!
bobthenavigator, this is very good info! I think I had big ideas in thinking we would get to all of these towns. I think we shall omit the idea of visiting the towns that are two hours away. Even if we are not staying in the heart of the Red Wine Region, I am hoping we will still find some incredible red wine and photo opps! Your photos are really beautiful! We have stayed in Civita overnight at the B&B so I really enjoyed seeing your photos from there. My favorite is the Ravello and the Positano Vista. Our last trip to Italy started in Venice and ended in Amalfi. (lots of driving) I bought ceramics in Ravello, what an amazing view! Thanks for the info!! I'm glad you helped a fellow hoosier out, you do still call yourself a Hoosier? grin.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM

I left in 1974 but have been back many times including our 50th HS reunion in 2005 in Indy and our 50th College reunion in 2009 at DePauw. I guess I am still a Hoosier, but have lived in 9 states so far.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Excellent! My mom just retired from Depauw and I have always lived within a few miles from the college. That is my hometown and when we need a bit more, Indy is just a short drive.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would think it would take 1 1/2 hours (at least) to reach Montalcino from Certaldo. I'm not quite clear if you are really into red wine or just want to see some wineries.

>>>We are staying at a unique winery, B and B, that is outside of Certaldo,<<<

What is the name of the B&B? A quick google doesn't turn anything up with that description. What makes it so unique?
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:54 AM

OK---so why stay in Greencastle[ Certaldo] when you really want to see Bloomington and Bedford?
I agree, what is so unique about your place?
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Bob! Your photo's are awe inspiring! Thanks for the post, Hoosiergirl...we are planning a trip to Italy in Sept and the info will be very useful!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

The place we are staying is called Tenuta Di Sticciano.
We think it is unique for a lot of reasons. We liked
the idea of Certaldo not being the first town the guidebooks
advertise. Every town we have seen in Italy is a gem to us! They all have something to offer, worthy of visiting.
bobthenavigator, we want to see Tuscany, not just southern Tuscany. We can drive to southern Tuscany, we have driven in that area before and understand the distance more now. We want to visit wineries in the south, but only for a day or two.
Hope this helps ctoner!! I can try to help you, if you have more questions. What a beautiful country! Such an opportunity if one gets to see it and enjoy it!
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Thank you Hoosier! I have bookmarked and will be back in touch. It's been a long time (1997) since I was in Italy and our travels will take us to the AC, Tuscany, Venice and Rome over a period of almost 3 weeks. We are staying near a Anghiari near Arezzo, in NE Tuscany. We've rented a villa there and will do day trips of course, hitting the nice towns near there. We are also interested in finding a place where we could attend a cooking class. I will look up the towns that you and bob mention, as we are also wanting to check out wineries. I have a feeling, this shouldn't be a problem in Tuscany. We are interested in the Brunello's as well and had a nice one here the other night, just to enjoy before a nice Italian meal. Yum!!
Anyway, thanks again for all your help and happy travels all!
Cathy