Reload this Page >

London Itinerary--suggestions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 06:21 PM
Joan

I don't know what happened to my previous post, but the itinerary never posted. I;ll try again. We are leaving for London in 2 weeks. We are spending 3 days in London before driving to Edinburgh with various stops in between. Any suggestions about this itinerary would be very much appreciated. <BR> Day One:We are taking a Big Bus around town--hop-on, hop-off. We'll probably try to see the changing of the horse guards, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, a glimpse at the Parliament,and Madame Tussaud's. <BR> Day Two: The British Museum in the AM. I know we could spend much more time here, we are going for the highlights. The National Gallery--to see several favorite paintings. Soho at night? <BR> Day Three: Hyde Park--Speaker's Corner, Tower of London in the later afternoon, and Jack the Ripper Walk in PM. <BR> Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. Are we running all over the place or using our time wisely? We want to leave time for spur of the moment inspirations. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 07:09 PM
wes fowler

Joan, <BR>With so much to experience in London and with such limited time, I'm not sure that Madame Tussaud's is a meaningful use of your time. I'd be tempted to substitute one of the lesser known but fascinating smaller museums, either the Courtauld Institute Galleries with its superb collection of Impressionists or Sir John Soane's Museum, an early 19th home of a leading architect who left the home and its eclectic contents to Great Britain with the stipulation that nothing in it be removed or changed. A fascinating building designed by Soane with equally fascinating contents ranging from an Egyptian sarcophagus to classic sculpture and Hogarth's series "The Rake's Progress". <BR> <BR>You mention Speaker's Corner on day three, which I hope is a Sunday since that's the only day of the week that orators and eccentrics appear on the scene. <BR> <BR>You might consider visiting some of the historic pubs in London and give some thought to Covent Garden with its street musicians and buskers, particularly if you're travelling with youngsters. <BR> <BR>When visiting the National Gallery, consider having lunch in the crypt restaurant in St. Martin-in-the-Fields church just across Trafalgar Square. <BR> <BR>It's really difficult to make meaningful recommendations not knowing if this is your first exposure to London or just one of many.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 07:17 PM
Dave Hutchinson

Joan... Your itinerary looks pretty good. You might want to take in a play while in London. I suggest Buddy (The Buddy Holly story).. We also liked Starlight Express. The Cabinet War Rooms is a neat experience. Be sure you take a walk in the park. Nature abounds here. On the way to Edinburg be sure to stop in York..a fun and beautiful village. You might want to check out my web site at "www.CrazyAboutTravel.com" for some pictures of my April trip to London,Bath and villages of England.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 12:48 PM
lisa

i would also pass on madam tussauds.. to many other things to see..kennsington is worth your time, the national portrait gallery should have the tudor section open again..st martin in the fields has classical concerts by candle light in the evenings.. the tickets are reasonable... buckingham is not much to look at.. however the mall is pretty.. check the schedule for the changing of the guards.. sometimes it is only done every other day. <BR>have a great trip

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 03:40 PM
kam

Agree to omit Madame Toussad's. If this is a first time trip,you will see the highlights with this plan. And, London theatre is a real treat--go as often as you can.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 06:05 AM
henry

Joan,I agree cut Tassaud's.I have found it very helpful to arrange a day's sites geographically so that you don't waste time travelling between distant sites.Try to do the Ceremoney of the Key's at the Tower.Cabient War Rooms,St.Pauls Cathederal or the Wallace Collection may be good substitutes for Tassaud's. Enjoy.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 05:14 PM
Melanie

One more for skipping MTussauds. <BR> <BR>It looks like everyone has covered all the must see's in London, so I won't expand anymore. <BR> <BR>Edinburgh, you will love. So far my favorite!! Must sees - The Castle (of course), St Giles, Scott Monument, Greyfriars Bobby, Palace of Holyrood. They also have the best pubs and everyone is so friendly. <BR> <BR>Try Whistle and Binkies on the Royal Mile. (I've mentioned it in another forum) It's a small pub that offers traditional folk music. Great fun!! <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!!!

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:04 PM
julie

Yes, I think you have a very ambitious itinery. Remember, it takes time to get from one place to another, crowds, train schedules, etc. But we stumbled in to the John Somes Museum last visit to London and we were pleasantly surprised, if you want to do something out of the ordinary, with no crowds.