Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London itinerary & Oyster - do I have this right?

Sep 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Good people,

I have done numerous searches on this forum for travelcard and Oyster PAYGO. But I want to run this by you to see if I'm right in thinking I should just get an Oyster PAYGO.

My London itinerary:

Day 1 - take HEX to Paddington and take tube or bus to Victoria area hotel.

Day 2 - sightseeing around London via bus and tube

Day 3 - out of London travel all day with a tour company; will NOT need tube, bus, or train as tour will provide door-to-door service.

Day 4 - ditto

Day 5 - ditto

Day 6 - sightseeing around London via tube/bus

Day 7 - sightseeing around London via tube/bus

Day 8 - out of London travel all day with a tour company; will NOT need tube, bus, or train as tour will provide door-to-door service.

Day 9 - tube or bus to Paddington station to catch HEX back to Heathrow
--------------------------
Since I have four days thrown in there in which I have no need for public transportation, does it make sense to just to do the PAYGO option for the days I'm actually in London?

Thanks a million for your help.

Sep 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
ron

The answer to your question is yes.

But to raise a question you didn't ask and since you are apparently concerned with not overpaying for public transport, why are you taking the Heathrow Express into and out of London? If you are comfortable taking your luggage on to the tube or bus in London, why wouldn't you use the tube to get to and from the airport as well?
Sep 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Yes, for your itinerary with gaps between your days in London, let the Oyster computer do your work for you. Each day your total cost will never be more than 50 pence less than a one-day travelcard for that day.

FYO, Victoria is far enough from Paddington that you will save 15 minutes at best by taking the HEX over just taking the tube all the way from Heathrow--and at a very high price. Take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hammersmith, walk a few steps to the other side of the platform, and take the District line to Victoria.
Sep 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM

you've got the answers re PAYG Oyster. But just to reinforce the point -- taking the Hex to Paddington to get to Victoria makes almost no sense. It isn't any faster, and it is MUCH more expensive.

Just take the tube and transfer at Hammersmith like TimS says. the line change is as simple as the come -- just step across the platform.
Sep 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Yes, Oyster Pay-As-You-Go is probably your best option - see below.

Notes:
• If you use your Oyster on the Tube before 9:30 on a weekday, your cap for the day will be £6.10; if you wait until after that (or use only buses before 9:30), your Oyster will cap at £4.60
• On weekends, the above does not apply, because there's no Peak Period on Saturday, Sunday, or bank holidays.

If it appears that you might hit the Oyster cap on days 1, 2, 6, and 7, a 7-day Travelcard for Zones 1 & 2 could be cheaper, for the following reasons:
• Your Heathrow supplement to Zone 2 will only be £1 or £1.80 instead of £2.50 or £3.50
• You won't have to pay the £3 deposit on the Oyster card
• A Travelcard makes you eligible for a 1/3 discount on Thames cruises
• 7-day Travelcards are not subject to peak restrictions
Sep 12th, 2007, 06:52 PM

When you buy an Oyster card or "top up" your already purchased Oyster card, you can either get in the line for the machines to do this yourself with a credit /debit card or you can get in the line to have someone else do this for you at the window.

On a recent trip to London, I learned that United States - issued credit cards (both Visa and American Express) do not work in the do-it-yourself machine because these cards do not have "chips." However, a bank card which does have a "chip" works in the machine. If you have only U.S. credit cards, the line to get in is the one that leads to the window. And by the way, when you get your Oyster card at the window, you should expect to be asked to show your passport for identification purposes.

Having said all that, we treasure our Oyster cards. They make travelling on the tube and the buses a breeze. I wouldn't go anywhere in London without one.

Have a wonderful time in London!
Jane
Sep 12th, 2007, 11:29 PM

A travelcard will currently allow you to use the offers on www.2for1entry.co.uk whereas PAYG doesn't.

There was supposed to be a new scheme where holders of Oystercards could get smillar offers via www.visitlondon.com but that seemed to get lost in the recent strikes.

If you go for travelcards just buy the one day cards and take the hit for a one way fares to/from Heathrow IF you don't intend doing any other travel on those days - Victoria is a good area for doing a Westminster - Trafalgar Square - Buckingham Palace walking loop from your hotel if you have a few hours spare

Have to agree with everyone else - using the HEX to get to Victoria is just wasting money

For pricing see

http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard.htm
http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/oystercard.htm
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful advice, everyone. I was told the tube from Heathrow into London takes a lot longer than taking the HEX, which is what made the HEX attractive to me. But, as a few of you have pointed out, I probably wouldn't be saving much time doing that because I'd have to go on to Victoria. I didn't think of that.

Thank you for also helping me figure out the PAYGO vs. 7 day travelcard option! Much appreciated.
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM

"...If you go for travelcards just buy the one day cards and take the hit for a one way fares to/from Heathrow IF you don't intend doing any other travel on those days..."

No. Don't.

Not only do you lose the 50p per day that Oyster caps knock off the cost of one-day Travelcards, you also lose the benefit of Oyster fares from Heathrow to London and back - about a £5 difference.

If you travel after 9:30 on all four sightseeing days (1,2,6,7), your PAYG total (including Heathrow transfer) will be £20 (£4.60*3+£6.20).

If you start out earlier than 9:30 on one weekday, the total becomes £21.50; two days, it's £23.00; three days, it's £24.50 - and of course, you have to mess with the (refundable) £3 Oyster deposit.

With a Travelcard, the total is £25 (£23.20+£1.80), and no deposit hassle - you get to keep your free Oyster card for your next trip. Plus you get the discounts that aren't available any other way.

If you think the freedom to head out early in the morning is worth a couple of bucks, then the 7-day Travelcard is your best choice for days 1-7.
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:49 AM

I've been using the Oyster ever since they first came out , buying at the windows..and I have never been asked for an ID. What possible use would an ID be?
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I second the motion about taking the tube directly to Victoria rather than the Paddington Express...given that once arriving at Paddington you either have to switch to the tube or take a taxi through very heavy central London traffic, there will not be any time saving and there are better ways to spend over 10 quid (the difference in fare between Paddington Express and the easy tube ride to Victoria with the simple change at Hammersmith).
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM

<<< "...If you go for travelcards just buy the one day cards and take the hit for a one way fares to/from Heathrow IF you don't intend doing any other travel on those days..."

No. Don't. >>>

Please don't paraphrase me - there were several caveats to my statement about using Travelcards plus I did point out the savings that Travelcards but not PAYG can give you on 2for1entry and that there is supposed to be a new scheme for Oystercards

On my maths - a one day off peak travelcard for zones 1-2 is £5.10, the single fare to/from Heathrow is £4 giving a total of £23.30 for 3 days plus 2 single fares - so for 2 adults that's £46.60 compared to £40. The savings on one 2for1 attraction like the Tower of London are more than that

as always the OP has to do the maths for their circumstances
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that breakdown, Robespierre! TFL should appoint you as the Public Liaison and pay you handsomely, as your explanation of how the system works is much clearer than theirs.
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Actually, at least on the underground, US issued cards do work even without chip and pin....
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM

"On my maths - a one day off peak travelcard for zones 1-2 is £5.10, the single fare to/from Heathrow is £4 giving a total of £23.30 for 3 days plus 2 single fares..."

Very good. I was thinking four days for some reason. As in Day 1,2,6,7.