Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - Is it a good idea to book Phantom tickets in advance?

Jul 7th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

The kids have picked Phantom of the Opera to see while we're in London mid-August. Is it advisable for us to book the tickets in advance to be assured of good seats? I'd hate for them to get stuck behind a pillar or something! I've been reading www.theatremonkey.com and trying to get a grasp of where the good seats are...it's a bit confusing...or I'm a bit tired.
My husband and I saw Phantom years ago in New York and I'll never forget the thrill as the chandelier swooped right up towards us and over our heads.
We must have played the soundtrack a LOT at home because one day while talking to our daughter about the importance of giving us the notes from school she started to sing..."Far too many notes for my taste..." LOLOL
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:42 AM

We were lucky when we bought tickets at the theatre a few hours before the performance -good seats near the front. That was for 2 though. If you want 4 seats together you probably need to book.
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Good point about getting seats next to each other, with 5 of us that is an important consideration.
Just a thought...Whoa - 5 x 50pounds = a lot!
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Phantom has been running for more than a generation - tickets are now readily available so you don't really need to book ahead. How long are you in London? They even often have seats at the TKTS 1/2 price booth in Leicester Square, though at just 25% off, not 50%.

If more than a couple of days you can call or go to the theatre to book for later in the week you arrive. Or stop by TKTS and see if it is listed there - if not then walk the fairly short distance over to the theatre and book for later in the week. (TKTS only sells for the day of performance)

Jul 7th, 2006, 07:02 AM

We booked ahead to see Phantom two years ago and Her Majesty's was packed--not an empty seat. It was better than the performance we saw here ten years ago and there is not a bad seat in the house.
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM

If you book at the box office (or even by phone!) you can probably get last minute seats that are NEAR each other (3+2 perhaps?) and still get excellent seats. Phantom's star is on the wane and easily accessible. Make sure the kids have proof of being in school for a discount (some box offices are particularly fussy about proof-of-whatever) ALWAYS ask if there are discounts available when booking anything!