Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London, Ireland, Switzerland in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-ireland-switzerland-in-june-1012636/)

GraceCO Apr 26th, 2014 09:01 PM

London, Ireland, Switzerland in June

I'm returning to London (was there in Feb) the end of June when my daughter finishes up her graduate work there. I'll be there for several days and then we're off to see Ireland (where our ancestors are from). This is a first visit to Ireland, but we'll return next Feb. for her graduation with the rest of the family. I'm at a loss at how to go about planning this trip. I'd really like something a bit structured (like Rick Steves or Groupon tour) so I don't have to make too many arrangements on my own. Also, because we're two women traveling alone, I like the "safety" of being part of a group with an itinerary. After Ireland, we're thinking we can do a Ryanair flight to Switzerland. I never take a trip without checking in here first! If you have any advice/recommendations, I'd be very appreciative.

Tony2phones Apr 27th, 2014 09:47 AM

If looking at Ireland throw anything by St Rick on the fire the man is worse than useless over here.

Safety for single women is not a problem so for two even less.

Where in Ireland are your ancestral interests? and no problem booking yourself you will get informed and accurate knowledge on the forums. How long do you have and what specific dates.

The more you tell the more helpful the answers can be..

Ryanair are strict on Baggage so weigh up the whole all in costs not just the fare..

anyegr Apr 27th, 2014 10:09 AM

Ireland felt perfectly safe when I was there as a single woman in 2009. I did go on some organized daytrips, but that was because I can't drive. Most of the time I got around on ordinary buses. Clean, comfortable and safe.

janisj Apr 27th, 2014 11:45 AM

>>If looking at Ireland throw anything by St Rick on the fire the man is worse than useless over here.<< and doubly bad for the UK . . .

AFAIK Groupon doesn't 'do' tours. It sells you discount vouchers on other companies tours/packages.

>>Also, because we're two women traveling alone, I like the "safety" of being part of a group with an itinerary<< If you want to do a pre-booked tour - fine . . . but safety really isn't a reason. You will be totally safe anywhere

Check out CIE (mostly typical large groups) and Rabbies (small groups)

http://www.cietours.com/us/ireland/e...FVBgfgodjmIA7Q

http://www.rabbies.com/tour_ireland.asp

GraceCO May 21st, 2014 09:42 PM

Thank you for the good advice. I started planning this trip a little late and the airfares are very pricey now, especially in June. Denver-London-Dublin-Denver is about $2K. I'm thinking about doing 5 days in London and then pick up a 5-day CIE tour in Dublin. Once the tour ends, we'll have 4 days in Dublin before heading home. I have no idea where to stay and what to do in Dublin in hat time period, so your suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I'm debating about delaying this trip until September, when the rates are better. It also might be more convenient since my daughter has her luggage from being in London for a year. Logistically it may make better sense to fly nonstop Denver to London and pick up the CIE tour then. Any thoughts on that option?

GraceCO May 21st, 2014 09:47 PM

Tony2Phones, I'm planning 6/18-7/2. Lots of flexibility on the return date. My ancestors are from Tuam, just outside of Galway.
Thanks for the help.

janisJ--nice to see you again and thanks for jumping in with suggestions. I'd already inquired about a CIE tour, so seeing you mention it made me feel better about that choice. Their communications are excellent thus far. Thinking about the 5-day "Taste of Ireland" tour, which covers quite a bit!

Tony2phones May 21st, 2014 11:46 PM

CIE and Rick Steves? To be fair they get great reviews mainly about the Driver Guide being bound for Sainthood and little else of content.. Have a look at Driftwood and now Rabbies are doing Ireland have a look at them as well. Have you thought of self drive? Or public transport and "Local" tours?

Tuam I know well, its the roadworks between here and Knock Airport. Nice Cathedral (Romanesque?)some good bar/food options not really on the tourist radar but only a short hop from Galway. Galway can be busy in September (assuming the change from June?) but is a good touring base for a lump of the mid west coastal region.. I would look into options other than 4 days in Dublin, 2 might be enough, its not that big and not really a great base for Irish Ireland.

jamikins May 21st, 2014 11:56 PM

Have you looked at cheaper airlines for your London to Dublin flight? Check out:

Aer Lingus
Ryanair
Easyjet
BA (might find a cheap flight)

When booking with the top three be sure you understand the luggage restrictions as they are taken VERY seriosuly and you will be charged alot extra at the airport if you break any of their rules.

Good luck!

Tony2phones May 22nd, 2014 10:17 AM

Easyjet don't fly into Ireland and BA are never cheap. The Cheap option London to Dublin takes 8 hours, Rail and sail London Euston to Dublin Port Stena. costs £43.

jamikins May 22nd, 2014 10:20 AM

sorry, didnt know easyjet doesnt fly there.

I have found BA flights that I consider cheap when booked far enough in advance...just another option to check if nothing else. In fact, BA booked far enough in advance have many times been the same if just a few ££ higher than ryanair after all the charges and you dont have to mess with the luggage restrictions. Maybe not for Ireland but certainly other places.