London International Flight Connection

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about flying from Rome to Stansted scheduled to arrive at 8:15 AM. I have a 12:15 flight back to the US at Heathrow. Is this enough time for connections? Does anybody know what American Airlines would do if I missed my flight?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM

This is cutting it extremely close - since the airports are on different sides of London.

If you plane is delayed or if security lines are long I would say you have very little chance of making the flight - since the bus from Stanstead to Heathrow is listed at 90 minutes. Will you have only carry-ons or checked luggage as well?

If you miss the AA flight - it's your problem not theirs - since presumably it's not on the same ticket. You would have to buy a new ticket at the last minute rate - unless you notified them in advance and tried to get a different flight just for a change fee (don't know the rules for whatever ticket you have).
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What day of the week? On a Sunday morning you'd have a semi-reasonable chance of making it (but could just as easily miss it)

On a week day - slim and none. Not only are the two airports far apart - the connecting coach must navigate one of the most congested motorways in Europe. Most transatlantc flight require a 2 hour advance check in at LHR. And some American carriers are suggesting 3 hours.

From you wording it appears you haven't booked the Stansted flight yet. Either book an earlier flight (if there is one) or fly in the night before.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Assuming it's the 12:15 to ORD they <i>might</i> put you on the 2:30 or 4:50 pm flight, but they wouldn't have to, and fer sure you'd be in a middle seat between a crying kid and someone who's just returned from pony trekking in Carpathia and smells like it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:39 AM

I'm British, therefore won't have the immigration problems you'll have &amp; I wouldn't risk it even if I hadn't any luggage, already checked in on-line &amp; a car waiting at the door for me.

I'd suggest you check out the tradtional airlines &amp; fly into Heathrow instead.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:47 AM

I would either try to get a later flight (why is it I think you have ALREADY made reservations????) out of Heathrow, stay overnight and fly out the next day, or check on www.skyscanner.net for possible alternative budget flights Rome to London