London in Septempber: what to wear?

Jul 23rd, 1999, 06:33 PM
Mariela

London in Septempber: what to wear?

Seeking help again in this excellent site.
I will spend the month of September studying English in London. What's the weather like by then? Does it get very cold at dusk?
What temperature should one expect?

Jul 23rd, 1999, 06:48 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Mariela: Expect the weather to be cool, especially after the sun goes down (which it will be doing rather early). My own recipe for dressing for London weather is to have a good waterproof raincoat--and layer under that. So a cardigan sweater, a pair of wool slacks and a wool skirt, T-shirts ad infinitum (they can be worn one atop of another for a layer of warmth; a dressy but simple black dress; a jacket or blazer. That should take care of most situations I think. Have fun--and write directly if you need more info. My sister lives in London and I've been there MANY times at all times of the year. Joan

Jul 23rd, 1999, 09:18 PM
lynn

Hi -

A quick note to say, be prepared for anything. I only say this because last September I was there for a few days and the temps went up to around 75-76 degrees! Talk about surprised. My husband hadn't brought much in the way of clothes-for-warm-weather and ended up wearing a t-shirt I brought for PJ's.

I'm certain this is not normal for London. Just be prepared in case it's a little warmer than usual.

Jul 24th, 1999, 12:44 AM
Jeff

Wear clothes, it is culturally offensive to walk around London naked. Unless of course your skin color is "black"

Aug 1st, 1999, 08:06 AM
Diane

Raincoats with zip out liners--can take you from cool afternoon showers to chilly evenings.

Aug 1st, 1999, 08:25 AM
Beth

I was in London in mid-September in '97 and it was warmer than I expected. I brought layers, but found I never wanted to wear my linen blazer, and it didn't rain at all !!! It was sunny and in the 70's, and was still warm at dusk. Of course, then we went to the Welsh mountains, and nothing I brought was warm enough, I had to buy a wool sweater