London in Sept. with 12 year old boy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I are travelling to London in Sept 28-Oct1 - (3.5 days avail. for sightseeing)) I just discovered the "Ceremony of the keys" thanks to this site!.Any suggestions would be appreciated..(Mid-level budget) Here's the plan so far:
British Museum
Tea at Fortnum & Mason or Selfriges (I don't want to schlepp a tie and jacket for my son!) or any other suggestions ?
Hyde Park
Ceremony of the keys
Tower of London & Crown jewels
Duck tour
Red double-decker bus tour
Fish and chips somewhere
Shopping on Sat @ Portabello Road
Harrods for ice cream and shopping
Night walking tour, Jack the Ripper
It's been 6 yrs. since I was there and I don't remember the specific areas very well. We also need a place to stay! ($100-200 per night - I need a nice, clean, safe and comfortable room with breakfast in the am).Great to be able to get real-time advice... Thanks in advance for all the help...
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh, forgot to mention, we want to see Phantom of the Opera as well.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
DO NOT take him on the Jack the Ripper tour!!!! Even IF I thought it was worthwhile (which it isn't IMHO) - I would NEVER ever take a 12yo. Do you honestly want him to hear about prostitutes being disemboweled and cut to pieces?

The rest of your ideas are OK. Depending on his interests, seriously consider the Natural History and/or Science museums
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Hello,
I'm british so thought I would add something. Your plan sounds great although i'm not sure he will enjoy tea at fortnums. He might rather do the london eye as long as you are not claustrophobic. Weather should be great as we were there exact time last yr. Take layers and peel off if needed. Good rain jacket
Try a walk in hyde park that's always fun. Maybe your son can rent roller blades somewhere. I will have to research hotels in london as we always stay with friends or relies. Good luck. Be sure to experiment with the good chocolate and have treacle pudding somewhere
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM

If you think it might interest him, my son was near that age when we went and he loved Churchills War Rooms - he didn't expect too, but it really got his attention and I thought it was a fabulous take and rich with history - you hear Churchill on the headset in some amazing moments.

Of course, he also loved Madame Tussauds wax museum

I'll have to look in my London album and see what else captivated him and if anything else I'll post back.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Skip tea - can't imagine a 12 yr old boy even wanting to do that.

I agree, add in London Eye.

What are his interests ?? Most 12 yr old kids I know are not into shopping at Harrod's or anyplace else, and if they are interested in museums probably not too long in any of them.

The Imperial War Museum may be of interest, also Greenwich Observatory. While I am no fan of Madame Toussaud's it probably would be fun for a 12 yr old.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go for the natural history museum, rather than the british - no 12 year old I know could resist the dinosaurs, the blue whale, the dodo - need I go on? You could always nip next door to the british museum if you've got time or energy. What about the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace? and definitely the London Eye.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM

London Dungeon. Who says boys don't like tea--and dressing up can be fun!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:04 PM

For lodging, since you will be there over a weekend, I suggest you look at the Sanctuary House Hotel:
http://www.fullershotels.com/main/1011

The weekend rate for a twin room there is very good. The hotel is quite new and the rooms (and bathrooms) are large by London standards. The continental breakfast included in the room rate is substantial, but you can order full English breakfast if you like. Although the hoetl is over a pub, it is not at all noisy (the pub is pretty quiet in the evenings). And we have never found any traffic noise there.

We have stayed here several times with our girls (12 and 14 at the time). We love the location---right by Westminster Bridge. It is safe and convenient for many attractions. A walk through St. James Park takes you to Trafalgar Square, or in the other direction to Green Park and then Hyde Park. Across Westminster Bridge and down the south bank walk a bit is the London Eye. And there's a tube stop (St. James) nearby for more distant sights, although we even walk to the British Museum from there. We always time our walks to catch the Horse Guards ceremony (I think it's at 11 am) at least once--that is very close by, just past the fenced-off entrance to Downing street.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM

We took our 10 1/2-year-old son to London (and France) last year, at just about the same time of year that you'll be there.

He loved public transportation, both the doubledecker buses and the tube, but probably the bus the most. We did the on-off bus tour, which was expensive, and the commentary (IMHO) wasn't stellar. Taking the regular buses (which we did as well) would have worked just fine. The best bus ride, I thought, was the night we rode a bus back to our hotel, at night, after seeing a play at the National Theater.

We had tea at Richoux, where DH could get non-tea food, and DS and I had tea. DS loved the cream tea, it was "british," without being too stuffy or dressed-up. That was good, as we went in the middle of the day, for a late lunch (going at regular tea-time would have interfered with our dinner plans). Ever since, he's loved English Breakfast tea!

The Tower of London and the crown jewels were a big hit.

My son doesn't like scarey stuff, so we didn't do any Jack-the-Ripper or dungeon activities. We did take the London Walks "Spies and Spymasters" tour, which we all enjoyed. But beware, it's primarily about Kim Philby and the Cambridge 5, not James Bond (so I made sure my son knew about the "real" spies beforehand).

We visited the British Museum, primarily for the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles. He also enjoyed climbing to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral. We didn't do the London Eye because SOMEBODY (ok, me) is afraid of heights. We all, surprising to me, liked the War Museum - the trench and the blitz experiences are fantastic. The War Rooms and the Churchill museum were also popular; there were a lot I found I didn't know about Churchill.

We've done the duck tour elsewhere, so we didn't do it in London, but both my kids LOVE it.

We had fish and chips at picnic tables outside the Rock & Sole Plaice, in Covent Garden, close to our hotel.

We went to see Mousetrap, which he enjoyed (I've seen it multiple times, which is more than enough), and a play at the National Theater - my son picked it out, and while he was the only kid there, he loved it (we did too).

We didn't do the Ceremony of the Keys because, as I recall, it's quite late in the evening.

Another really fun thing we did was to go to a bookstore (Waterstones) and buy books by British authors whose books hadn't been published in the U.S. yet. Yes, I know we could have bought them from Amazon.uk, but it wouldn't have been the same. As I recall, I think they were books in the Alex Rider series (your son might have heard of those books).

We also visited the Royal Mews, which was somewhat disappointing as there was only one car in residence (the royal family was using the rest).

We stayed at Montague in the Gardens, which probably isn't mid-level budget (at least I hope not), but we were somewhat limited because we didn't a room for 3 people.

Have a great trip - we did!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM

You might consider adding the Museum of London - which has a bunch of interactive exhibits for kids - as well as some actual roman ruins.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I took my daughter there for her 12th bday a couple of years ago. Mme. Tussaud's was a huge hit - something I'd never have done if she hadn't wanted to go, but it set up some great pics of my daughter with Queen Victoria and as Henry VIII's seventh wife. Also Hamley's is a fab toy store, like FAO Schwartz, but different. Ditto the War Rooms thing- an all time fave, and the London Eye, Tower of London, and Westminster Abbey were all terrific. Try booking a room with londontown.com -we stayed at the Millenium Bailey's - just across from the Gloucester Rd. tube - for less than 90 pounds/night, and there is a 24 hr. store just across the road (a great plus with a kid who might not see the appeal of British grub.)
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:24 PM
amaclise

Great ideas here. I would add Kew Gardens or Hampton Court but only if you go one way by boat. Or you can go down to Greenwich by boat too, especially for the maritime museum if he likes boats/naval history.

I second the Museum of London and Imperial War Museum, and don't foget Big Ben/Houses of Parliment area for walking around.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Based upon experience with my own son at age 12 (and before/after) in London, I'd put these near the top of my list:

--Tower of London (but not for the jewels, from a 12 year old boy's perspective!)
--Science Museum (one of the best )
--London Eye
--Imperial War Museum
--Duck tour

Further down the list:

--Museum of London
--British Museum (in small bites)
--Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens (if playgrounds are not too much for "little kids"; this is the best one imaginable)
--Nautical Museum and Royal Observatory at Greenwich (with a ride on the driverless Docklands Light Railway, in the front car)
--wandering Covent Garden and watching the street performers
--Cabinet War Rooms
--watching the changing of the mounted guards at HorseGuards Parade

If you want to keep the tackiness quotient low, I'd skip the London Dungeon, Madame Tussauds, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. Also, from your son's perspective, shopping at Harrods? Tea at a department store? No thanks.

You won't lack for things to do in 3 1/2 days!

Dave
dw*KidsToLondon.com

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:16 AM
WMR

Hits for our 12-yr.-old last summer were the Brass Rubbing Centre at St. Martin in the Fields, and London Walk of Westminster followed by audio tour of Westminster Abbey
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Is he a Harry Potter fan? He might be interested in a quick side trip to Kings Cross Station where Platform 9 3/4 is "located". There is a silly sign there for photo ops. I went to London on a business trip recently and went to Kings Cross to take photos for my 10 and 13 yo girls. Big hit with them and their friends. But we all like Harry Potter a lot. I believe there are other sites used in the movies in London as well.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great ideas. JanisJ, I agree, we're passing on the Ripper tour...My son does like the tea sandwichs as well as the scones & desserts (we've done it before) so tea needs to be on our list. As far as shopping at Harrods, that's for me(!) as well as the ice crem for him. I was aware of the London Eye and had included this on my original list so that is added back as well. Lexma, thanks for the "spy"walking tour idea. We are both big fans of James Bond so I think we would find that walking tour interesting. The War Rooms were not on my list. I will need to go over a few of these ideas with him to see what he would find more interesting. He loves reading so we'll hit some bookstores and check out the Alex Rider series, thank you. Big Ben and changing of the guards as well as misc. walking and enjoying the sights will need to be factored in. Great idea for Kings Cross station, I had completly forgotten about that, its added to the list. Any other Harry Potter quick stops? Emmalee, thanks for your help & what is treacle pudding? As far as the chocolate goes, that's not a problem...! Much appreciate the help! Looking forward to spending this special time with him...
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I'm English but live in the US. My 12 year old daughter has been to London a few times and her absolute favorite is Covent Garden, followed by the London Eye (My Mum is scared of heights, too, but she did it and enjoyed it)and Hamleys. I think a 12 year old boy might like the War Rooms as well as Madame Tussauds, too. With a 6 year old boy in tow,too, we just walked and walked - soak up the atmosphere! If you are not set on Phantom of the Opera try going to the same day theater ticket booth for some real bargains - I believe it's in Leicester square. There are tons of them but only one is the "official" one - it's a free standing booth.
Have fun!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM

I didn't see this mentioned, but a trip to the London Aquarium (right next to the London Eye) is worth a visit.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Kids should love Madame Tussauds and the wax figures of celebrities and notorious criminals alike. Next door is the London Planetarium with a riveting show. And though i think it's a bit overpriced and overhyped - the London Dungeon may thrill kids as well. (Trying to think from 12 yr old's brain, not a cultured adult.)
The Victoria and Albert Museum also has lots of stuff that will appeal to anyone.
And of course a ride on the London Eye, the world's largest moving wheel.
For more thrills take the perilous climb up to the top of St Pauls Cathedral where, via some non-confidence inspiring ladders for the final stage you emerge to a narrow platform several hundred feet above London swirling below.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -