London in November for four days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am travelling to London on November 4-9th of this year and I have lots of questions. Two adults and one teenager (16) are going. We will be staying at the Days Inn Westminster-- anybody stay here/ know anything about it and/or its area? We are flying into Heathrow via BA and I was also wondering about taking the underground to or near our hotel after we arrive. We arrive at Heathrow at 7:55PM. I am also now sort of wondering if four full days will be enough to get a taste of the city... but its already booked. Anyway, we are interested in the typical sites (Tower of London, Big Ben, London Eye), and I just need general information on how to manage time best to see as much as possible. Thanks very much for response-- much appreciated.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 04:40 AM

I went to London for 4 days and I got to see everything on my itinerary, which was a lot. I was surprised how much we were able to do in such a short amount of time.
Day 1 - we arrived at the hotel around noon and then went for a walk to Kensington Gardens (at the end of the street from our hotel) and to lunch. Then off to Harrods to explore and get icecream. Went back to the hotel to change for going to the theater (Chicago). We got to the theater area and had a few drinks before the show, and dinner after the show.
Day 2 - we got up early, had breakfast at an outdoor cafe on the street, and off to madame tussouds when it opened at 9. After that we went to Portobello rd Markets (it was a saturday)...and had lunch in Nottinghill. THen we went to westminster to see big ben and westminster abbey. We went on the London Eye which was great and then over to Picidilly CIrcus to explore and get dinner. (this was the most tiring day)
Day 3 - Breakfast early and then to the Tower of London when it opened. Spent two hours there. Then went to Hamleys five story toy store, and china town for lunch. Back to the hotel for a bath and a nap and then out at night to a restaurant and some bars.
Day 4 - Breakfast at hotel and went to Westminster Abbey. Then shopping on oxford street/regent street for about 1.5 hours. Then to lunch in Camden and the Good Mixer Pub.
Then back to the hotel, onto the tube and off to Luton Airport.

I'm not necessarily saying follow our itinerary and do what we did, but just an idea of all that can be done in a short amount of time. The only thing I was sad about was not seeing any musuems especially when our hotel was right by them all (we stayed at the Regency in South Kensington)..but next time we can do the museums. I was surprised with the free time we had that wasn't on my itinerary.

Good Luck and have fun! It will be tiring but worth it.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 05:28 AM

We just got back from three weeks in England, but only could only stay in London for 3 days. We had two teens to entertain, but had a great time, saw lots and need to go back....

We landed at Heathrow and took the Heathrow express to Paddington station. Not sure if that is near where you are staying, but worked well for us and we did not need to carry suitcases on the tube in rush hour. Little more expensive, but worth it. We grabbed a little hotel on Susex Dr.

Most of the things you probably want to see are are in zone one and two on the tube and bus system. After 9:30 if you buy a one day travel pass for less than half price. Also gives you access to rail in the same zones. Family pass was 7 pounds.

Best deal was the British Heritage Pass. Gets you in to all NT properties and then some ( 1/2 price for the London Tower ). Very good deal if you are extending and visiting out side of London.

Kids wanted to see Madame Tussauds. Was really leerly as it was quite $, but found it to be quite fun.

Tower bridge tour was also worth it.

Nothing was overly crowded and we were in high season.

St' Pauls is covered in scafolding and the whispering gallery is also mucked up with construction, but this was the only place we toured that was under the knife.

We rode the London Eye at dusk. Great views....

Enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:03 AM

Well, I'm not sure what is up with my previous post. It hasn't shown up, so if this gets posted twice, please pardon my repetition! Hyrlands - when you get back PLEASE post a review of the hotel, because I am staying there for 10 nights early next spring. I haven't been able to find much info on the hotel because it just recently changed names, but the area is supposed to be fine. Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:26 AM

The Days Inn used to be the Comfort Inn. I have not stayed there but do know the neighborhood really well since I often rent a flat near there. It is close to both the Victoria and Pimlico tube stations. Victoria station is great because 3 tube lines, main line trains, Victoria Coach station, and a major intersection of London bus lines are right there. Both round-London sightseeing bus companies have a staffed stop (with agent on the sidewalk) there, there is an EasyEverything 24 hour internet cafe across the street, and in the station are two Tourist information Offices and a shopping center.

Also there are a lot of good inexpensive places to eat on all the streets near the hotel and you will be walking distance to Tate Britain and the river. It is a very convenient location.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM

You chose a great time to be in London because on November 5th they celebrate Guy Fawkes Day with bonfires and fireworks. It's a day in which they commemorate the foiled attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament. I won't take up your time with a history lesson, but it's something not be missed. There are many celebrations through out the city, or just follow the crowds or the smoke. I think one of the most popular is held in Lewes in Southeast London.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:31 PM

Just One clarification. Guy Fawkes night is Nov 5 - BUT most bonfires and fireworks are on Saturday night. So check Time Out or ask the hotel desk where local events are being held on Nov. 8.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:31 PM

I loved London - my husband and I went June, 2000. The Tube is easy to take from Heathrow, and the attendant at the booth there was, for us anyway, super friendly and helpful, and even saved us money by suggesting a different type of ticket than the one we were about to purchase.

I would skip the London Eye - we did it, but we felt like it took up too much of our time (getting there (which was out of the way from whre we wanted to be), waiting in line, and slowly ascending & descending to "the view&quot, for too little reward.

Definitely do include the National Gallery, which was an amazing lesson in art history - you could easily spend two full days there. For a pound or two each, each family member can get a hand held "phone", which will tell you about almost every single piece of art hanging in the gallery - as you walk around the gallery, just punch in the number next to the piece, and get a description of what the piece is and why its significant.

Also, do at least one theatre show, but go directly to the theatre to inquire about purchasing last-minute tickets, NOT the so-called "discount" booth right as you're exiting The Tube, where I got over-charged.

Have a great time, and drink a spot o' tea at Harrod's for me!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:16 PM

We recently returned from London-visiting our son who was doing an internship there-we found it very easy to get around using the tube-definitely get a pass. We really felt the London Eye was worth doing-our son did too! THe view of London was spectacular! You can order tickets via the internet in advance-we had a less than 10 minute wait-it's worth it! Dont have any idea re how long the wait might be in Nov. Have a great trip and do have a fish & chips meal there!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:05 AM

This year the Lord Mayor's Show (the formal inauguration for the coming year of the Lord Mayor of the ancient City) is on Saturday 8th. A parade in the morning (which you could probably watch more comfortably on TV), fireworks at 5pm, best watched from Blackfriars Bridge, or the south side of the Thames beside the Oxo Tower:

http://www.lordmayorsshow.org/
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:02 AM

If you're travelling light (no more than one medium-sized suitcase and daypack each) and you're comfortable hauling bags up and down escalators and stairs, go ahead and take the tube. It's convenient to your hotel. Otherwise, you might consider booking a mini-cab service (Ray Skinner or Swiss Cottage - you can get phone numbers by searching the names on this website - you'll have to book in advance). A mini-cab might cost you 25-35 pounds for the three of you, which would be cheaper (and much more convenient) than the Paddington Express (which is a fair distance from your hotel, so you'd still need to fork out for tube or cab fare). A regular cab might be double the mini-cab price - not really worth it. For the return journey, you might also consider the mini-cab (it's usually a little less expensive because the driver knows it's just pick-up and drop-off with no wait time). Another alternative might be one of the airport buses - it will drop you very close to your hotel (easier than the tube, about the same price as a mini-cab, no need to pre-book but you might have to wait half an hour for a scheduled departure time). Again, a good option for your return to the airport.

Guy Fawkes Night is a huge party in London. It will be great fun, but be warned, the streets and tube will be insanely crowded, starting at about 5 pm (not dangerous, just crowded). I lost my friend on Guy Fawkes Night (when I used to live in London), and we didn't have a back-up plan. Make sure that you have an arrangement with each family member for a meeting place (probably the best bet is the hotel or maybe a restaurant, since typical meeting place locations will have thousands of people at them) and meeting time, in case you get separated.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow! You guys are excellent! Thanks a lot. answered more questions than I'd imagined, and right about what I'd wanted to know. HeatherH, I will definitely post when I've returned what the hotel is like because I am quite curious myself. Expedia gave it a lot of hype in terms of location. Tammi, thanks very much, your itinerary is very similar to what ours may look like in November. And what luck! Thanks Merilee_Tucker and janis-- I'm glad that you've informed me of Guy Fawkes day-- local celebrations are right up our ally-- and equally great for pictures. Thanks for the information about transportation from Heathrow, and all the great suggestions about museums-- I was definitely planning on the National Gallery. Thanks very much again, exceptionally helpful.

P.S. I'll make it over to Harrod's for some tea and I'm sure I'll stumble across some Fish and Chips sometime; somewhere. Thanks ;o)
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:47 PM

I would recommend taking one of the "Big Bus Tours" of London. It is a hop on-hop off tour, where it takes you to every major attraction, plus great neighborhoods, and you can get on and off wherever you want to see all the sights. The ticket is valid for 24 hours. Also included is a 30-minute boat ride down the Thames, with some amazing sights of Tower Bridge and Big Ben/Parliament.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 01:39 AM

Just to back Kate_W up...

In case you do get separated, make sure each of you:

1) knows exactly where your designated meeting-up place is (sounds elementary, I know, but when you feel lost, especially in a big city, sometimes these things slip your mind)

2) has the phone number to the meeting-up place

3) has some ££ in your wallet to pay for a cab to get there

Also, my family and I really enjoyed the Big Bus Company bus tour. One of the things I really enjoyed, although you might think it's a strange thing to enjoy, was when we were on the bus (the top, open section), and we got stuck behind a massive demonstration/parade at Trafalgar Square. It was really interesting to watch the demonstration, all the stereotypical red 'double decker London buses' stuck in traffic all around us, the traffic cops trying to get us all through that area, the masses of police trying to control the crowds.... I thought that was really neat! But I like unexpected, strange things like that, lol.

Another benefit: Even with the frequent hopping on and off we did during the bus tour, it really saved our feet for all the OTHER walking we did during our holiday.

Here's the website:
http://www.bigbus.co.uk/uk/html/uk_home.html

Have a great time in London with your family!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Oh dear oh dear. These hotels do like to pretend they are somewhere famous. I have just phoned the quote Days Inn Westminster unquote, and it is on the corner of Belgrave Road and Moreton Streeet. So the web sites that say it is near Victoria and near Westminster are lying: each of those is 15 minutes walk away. Rather, the hotel is two minutes from Pimlico tube station, on the Victoria line, a stop from Victoria and two stops from green Psrk. So if your luggage is light you can take the Piccadilly line to Green Park, change, reach Pimlico tube station, and walk to the hotel. If it us heavy then you can take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, cross the platform to the District Line, reach Victoria, ask the staff at the ticket barrier where the stairs are that go up to the top end of Vauxhall Bridge Road, and take bus number 24 to St George?s Square, just before the bus turns left into Lupus Street: you could ask the driver to put you off there. Or of course a taxi from Victoria to your hotel.

Very near your hotel is Pimlico branch library, whose staff will gladly tell you where to find a good fireworks night nearby. They might well know a decent chippie (fish and chips shop), too.

Your hotel is five minutes from the Thames, so you can take bus 77a downstream to Big Ben and the London Eye and can take the tube with a change at Victoria to many places ? South Kensington for the Science Museum and Victoria and Albert, Embankment for Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, and National Portrait Gallery, Somerset House, Blackfriars for St Paul s, the Lord Mayor s Show on Saturday, and the Oxo Tower, and Tower Hill for the executioner s block (do not kneel).

You ask how to manage time best to see as much as possible. Three techniques help. First, to look for things that start at nine (the Tower, Westminster Abbey and St Paul s), and arrive there at opening time. You will be less crowded, and have value from that hour. Second, to look for places that close at eight or eight thirty and find what days they do so. Examples are the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, and selected rooms of the British Museum, nearest tube Holborn (all of them free). Again, you find less crowding and extended use of time. Third, to gather visits by location, so avoid zig zagging around London. A good approach is to learn the nearest tube station of each attraction, and use http://www.afn.org/~alplatt/tube.html , the tube map, to see how places lie. If you would like to write here or to e-mail me, with a list of places you want to be, I can sew together a layout for you, using all three techniques.

And places the teenager wants to be. What does he or he enjoy most at high school, and why ? What will he or she study next semester in History, Geography and English (the schoolteachers know). Has he or she a hobby, interest, or intended career. If he or she will e-mail me the answers, I shall be glad to see what we have in London to meet those tastes. You need not tag along unless you want to: just drop him or her at the door, with a travel card to go home on.

Welcome to London

[email protected]

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 05:51 PM

I would add that the Museum of London is quite interesting and definitely worthwhile to do at the beginning of your trip - it gives you an overview of the history of the city. Also, have a meal at the Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin's in the Fields - wonderful church at Trafalgar Square and near the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery - they also have a brass rubbing center there and free concerts (mostly classical) at lunchtime. Also you might consider an English tradition - Evensong - most churches have one around 5:00 or 5:30 pm and it's quite relaxing and usually features a boy's choir. I've been to one at Westminster Abbey and at St. Paul's (as well as the famous boy's choir at King's College in Cambridge) and they were all wonderful. Have fun! Carol
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:04 PM

Hyrlandrs replied by e-mail, and I wrotev thus

The 77A runs about half a mile from your hotel to Westminster.

You buy London travel passes for single days, for two days at the weekend, or for a week at Gatwick airport, Heathrow, or at any tube station in London. You should ask whether your best buy is single tickets or a family railcard. If you are buying cards that last a week you will need a passport photo per person.

Thank you for the list of places you want to see. I think you could sort your days thus. I have added notes I keep on good pub meals. You can routinely order water: nobody has to drink.

Wednesday, Royal day. Bus to Harrods, walk to Buckingham Palace, visit the great coaches in the Royal Mews, walk along the lake (not along the road) to Westminster, see Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and Parliament. Perhaps the Cabinet War Rooms. At any tube station buy your tickets for the Tower tomorrow.

Two pubs are good for meals.

For lunch. The Two Chairmen. Corner of Queen Anne's Gate and Dartmouth Street, 100 yards from St James' Park tube station. Some Members of Parliament use it.

For lunch or supper. The Albert. Corner of Buckingham Gate and Victoria Street. Nearest tube St James Park. Downstairs good hot food, with spices well used, served also in the evening. Upstairs for lunches only a carvery, three courses at 15 pounds. The house beer is Courage, but other and better draught is also served. Children are welcome at lunch but not supper.

Thursday, City day. Tower, Tower Bridge, underground to Barbican, Museum of London, St Pauls Cathedral, and in the late afternoon the London Eye

For lunch near the Tower: The Anchor Tap half way along the eastern side of Horselydown, just east of the Tower Bridge Road, which runs south from the Bridge. Marked in summer by fine hanging baskets of flowers. The landlord is American. Open twelve to nine Mondays to Saturdays.

For lunch near the Museum of London and St Pauls.

The Shakespeare. North of the Museum of London, at the southern end of Goswell Road. 100 yards from Barbican tube station. Lunches and suppers Mondays to Saturdays: last orders 8pm. I've not been enough to get a feel for the clientele.

The New Market. 26 Smithfield Street, opposite the south west corner of Smithfield Market. Meals Monday to Friday 6.30 am to 8 pm, and Sundays noon to 5.

Friday, Trafalgar Square day. National Portrait Gallery. Church of St Martin in the Fields for lunchtime music. The National Gallery, open till nine. Convenient lunch in the crypt of St Martin in the Fields, but a better lunch at the Devereaux, just west of the Inns of Court and just south of the Law Courts on the Strand. Bus five minutes aloing the Strand

Saturday, shows day. Morning the Lord Mayors Show, midday Tate Modern, evening fireworks as Pimlico library staff suggest.

For lunch the Founders Arms. At the southern end of Blackfriars Bridge, downstairs to the Jubilee walk which runs along the river, and a hundred yards downstream: 100 yards from the Tate Modern.

You have evenings free on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday to go to a play or a musical. I do suggest a proper play. If you buy Time Out on Wednesday morning you will see what is on.

This is a moderate programme, not pressurised, so we can add in extras for the child if your reply leads me to think of them. I fear I have put my question about interests badly. Has the child anything he (is that he or she ?) likes to do at home, or in your home city, or at school, or on holiday in the States ? What is his choice in books, reading, food, music, cinema films, pictures even ? What is his life of imagination ? Has he hobbies ? Does he have a career in mind ? None of these are meant to be questions about London. But please sit down, him with a fizzy lemonade and you with a piece of paper, and let his mind run loose.

I look forward to hearing the result.

Ben Haines
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Please forgive me, hyrlandrs, for hijacking your post for a minute

After reading this post (along with countless other ones over the past couple months), I just wanted to say that this site has some wonderful people giving advice! And, I hope no one minds if I give extra kudos to Ben Haines for taking so much time to help us tourists enjoy his city!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Ben, That was a great list. I've added several more notes to my itinerary-in-progress. Do you know, or does anyone else know, can you buy your ticket for the Tower at a tube station if you're using the Great Britain Heritage Pass to get 1/2 off? Or do you have to do it at the Tower itself? Thanks!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:36 AM

SusanP - You need to show your GBHP at the ticket kiosk at the Tower to get the 1/2 price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -