Reload this Page >

London in February - Questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 03:31 PM
GomerPyle

Hi everyone, <BR>I am planning a trip to London for 7 or 8 days at either the end of February or beginning of March (will be determined by when the good air fare sales end). <BR> <BR>I would appreciate any comments on the following: <BR>1. How much daylight can I expect at this time of year? Time of sunrise and sunset? <BR>2. I am expecting weather to be cold---mid 40s (Farenheit) during the daytime and colder at night. Is this reasonable? <BR>3. I will bring an umbrella and expect to encounter rain....what about snow? Does it snow very often in London? <BR>4. I am considering an overnight trip to either Bath or Oxford. Do the tourist attactions remain open in these two locations during the Winter months? <BR>5. Finally, I would like to take in at least one play while in London. I do not plan on bringing a sport coat or suit or tie, just (new) jeans and maybe some dockers...will I be underdressed? What about for a matinee? <BR>Thanks and Tanto Grazie. <BR>Gomer Pyle

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 06:21 PM
pat

1. By that time, i think the sunrise would be nearly 0800, and set around 1700. <BR>2. It can be milder than that, you may get mid 50 in the day, and near freezing in the night. <BR>3. It doesn't snow much in central london, can be just in the air, but wouldn't remain on the ground. <BR>4. It will be open, but the open and closing time is adapted to the winter time, so don't forget to check first. Don't miss out Blenheim palace in Woodstock, just less than half an hour from oxford city centre. <BR>5. It sounds fine to me.

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Vickie

Hello Gomer-- Try this website for weather info: <BR>http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/wlondon.htm <BR>It seems odd how low the average precip numbers are, but then, although I've been to London a number of times, it seems that it rarely rains all day, more a lot of showers and drizzle. Haven't been to London during that time of the year so I can't help on length of daylight. As far as dressing for the theatre, you'll be fine. Theatre dress has becoome much more casual and you see pretty much everything -- you'll see some people dressed up, but you'll see others who are not also. Dress seems to be especially casual at matinees. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 03:35 AM
Helen

Hi Gomer, We were in London during the third week of February 1998. The weather was very warm. Many flowers were in bloom. We took a day tour to Oxford (a bit windy but pleasant), through the Coltwalds, on to Strattford where it was lovely - swans and early flowers everywhere. We were able to cover a great deal without changing hotels.That may have been an exceptional year but it sure was better than being home in Boston. Check it out - there are many excellent day tours out of London. Of course, an umbrella is a must. There is so much to do in London. Enjoy - Helen

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 04:05 AM
Litsa

Just to confirm, I never dress up for the theatre, and it's never a problem.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 09:43 AM
teri

Hi: <BR>I was in London last February. We were lucky that the weather was great - it was in the mid to upper 50's F every day and sunny. It only rained one night. If I recall, the sun would set around 5 p.m. (17:00). <BR> <BR>Bath was lovely and I would recommend it. We took a tour with Evans. Have a great trip.