London in 3 days

Jan 18th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

London in 3 days

Hi, My husband and I are traveling to London sans children between 2/10-2/14/05. We need suggestions for hotels under $400. US dollars per night as well as the suggestions for restaurants.
We live in Darien Connecticut and we are NYC goers. We love good food and luxurious accomodations but London is so pricey!!! We love to go to the newest and chicest places. Are we mad to be able to afford this in London?
We are in our early 40's and we are really looking forward to this trip. HELP...
Thanks in advance.
Jan 18th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Check out luxurylink.com, they often have great auctions for 4-5* hotel stays. The Berkly, Connaught, and Ritz show up often, all fitting your criteria. Since you are traveling during winter you should be able to find decent deals. And then there's always Priceline, where you can stay in 5* hotels (more like US 4*) for $200/nt or less, all with excellent locations. Biddingfortravel.com has the hotel list & winning bids.
Jan 18th, 2005, 09:15 AM

sorry for typo, that is the Berkley hotel.
Jan 18th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Try a search on this forum for hotel and restaurant info, and also check out the London Superthread here.
Mayfair area is recommended as a place to stay, but I like South Kensington. You should have no trouble finding accomodation with your budget.

Jan 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Oh, I'm sorry, I just realized you'll be staying for fewer than 5 nights, a lot of luxurylink auctions are for 5 nts, but there are quite a few for 4. But ditto the above comments, with a budget of $400/nt you should be fine.

As a first timer I would stay in the Mayfair/Piccadilly area, close to the theatre and museums, Picadilly Circus.
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Hi LauraChad,

We just returned from a hotel in Soho called Hazlitts. www.hazlittshotel.com
We got a winter special in a regular room (which have nice decor and nice linens) for 149bp/night plus vat. Great area if you're going to the theater and clubs. Picadilly line is right down the street so quick to get to other areas such as Knightsbridge and such.

You're right. The dollar doesn't go very far there so we searched hard and were very happy with Hazlitt's.

I, too, looked on lux.link. You can find some good deals and also some on the hotel's website as well. I posted our trip report with restaurants and clubs we enjoyed.

((( avoid "Woman in White" )))

Have a great trip!!
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM

FYI Hazlitt's is Bill Bryson's favourite hotel.
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Had to look up Bill Bryson, sorry! Hazlitt's is known for the authors who frequent the hotel. Signed copies of their books are found in the den/living room. So many of them now they can't all be displayed. Even a signed 1st edition of Harry Potter is there (under lock and key, of course). A very cool hotel.