London - Hyde Park/Queen's Gate

Old May 10th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London - Hyde Park/Queen's Gate

My question is basically two-fold
1. Is it safe to walk around Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens in the early evening?

2. Any specific restaurant suggestions for families in Queen's Gate Garden area?
Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Do you realize during the summer it stays light til almost 10 pm? I didn't, despite having been to England many times but always during the fall/winter. The first time I was there in June, I fell asleep at about 5 pm for a "nap." When I woke it was "daylight" as I looked out my hotel window onto Kensington Gardens. I saw families with dogs & kids. I thought I had slept through the night because my watch said 9 o'clock. It was 9pm.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:49 PM

There is also a lovely children's play area in Kensington Gardens. It is called the Peter Pan Playground.

I don't have a restaurant suggestion but there is a grocery store called Waitrose near the park. It is on Gloucester Road right next to the Gloucester Road tube station. I was told by a local that it was an upscale market. We did a couple of picnics in the Gardens with food from there so you might consider that as well.
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, it will be nice to know we can hang out in the park as a break from sightseeing! Any other ideas of things to do in this area, besides museums?
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Betsy, you will be right near the Albert Hall which is a great music hall. You might want to check their website to see what will be playing when you're there. I would also do a websearch for events and activities at Hyde Park. There may be events taking place during your stay that your kids might like-perhaps a race or something.

Finally, it sounds like you're staying at the Queensgate apartments. You should read through all the reviews on tripadvisor. Often as people review a place, they mention local restaurants or services they used that could be helpful.
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:38 AM

That is a perfectly safe area--my favorite area actually. Besides Gloucester Road, you are a short walk to Kensington High Street, which also has restaurants and shops. The park is great and if you walk across it, which is not a long way, you are on Bayswater Road for more exploring. There's something in all directions. Have a wonderful time!
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:59 AM

Logic - the "upscale" hotels, shops, architecture, etc. in this area dictates it is one of the safer parts of London.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Have you seen this thread? Restaurants are not really family places but the walk might interest you. Have you considered doing a "London walks"? Londonwalks.com

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34496158