Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: Hyde Park Corner to South Kensington Walk

May 3rd, 2004, 10:13 AM
ChatNoir

Please take a look at this walk and provide feedback on it and other close by things to do and see and places to shop/eat/drink.

This major crossroads has two notable landmarks. You can go inside the Wellington Arch and also into elegant Apsley House. It was given as a home to the Duke of Wellington, the hero of the Battle of Waterloo, and was once known as Number One, London. Opposite, there is a statue of the ?Iron Duke? on the horse he rode at Waterloo.

With Hyde Park on your right, walk down Knightsbridge and you will see the Hyde Park Hotel on your right and the Mandarin Oriental. On the other side is Harvey Nichols, stacked with designer gear, and with an excellent restaurant, the Fifth Floor.

It?s a pleasant stroll along Brompton Road. You cannot miss Harrods, and on your left you will see Beauchamp Place with its array of small shops, and several restaurants and bars (including The Town House at 31b). If you fancy a snack, there is a branch of Pret a Manger at no. 132, Brompton Road.

On the other side you will come eventually to the Brompton Oratory, a splendid Catholic church in the Baroque style; and there is a statue of Cardinal Newman here. Take a look at charming Brompton Square.

You are soon within a short walk of three of London?s finest museums: The Science Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, and The Natural History Museum. Admission is free.

Before you choose one, you might pause for refreshment at one of the bar/ restaurants nearby ? Chez Max or The Oratory.

May 3rd, 2004, 10:50 AM

Splendid so far!

Although I do believe that the Mandarin Oriental Hotel is what used to be the Hyde Park Hotel.
May 3rd, 2004, 12:05 PM

ChatNoir: Several of your posts seem to be pasted from some guidebook.
What else do you actually want to know? Everything is described accurately in that passage, including some places to eat.
May 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM

This is such a nice part of London! If you don't feel up to a museum visit, I would continue down Bromton Rd to Fulham Rd - have a walk around Pelham Crescent and then down Sydney St. to Kings Rd. Now a couple of options, turn left and walk along Kings Rd to Sloane Square or turn right and head down Oakley St into Chelsea. Turn left at Phene St and stop for a rest at the Phene Arms - a small pub with a nice garden to sit in. After refreshments continue over to Manor St and turn right to walk down to Cheyne Walk - from there it's an easy walk to the Albert Bridge and then over to Battersea Park. I just love walking through Chelsea, the houses are really fun and quite different from other parts of London.
May 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
ChatNoir

janis, I cut and pasted from a couple of sources and just thought people who had walked that area before might know of something interesting that was along the same route or close by.

In unfamiliar places, I always have this dread of walking a block or so away from something really cool and missing it.

On my last trip, folks helped me add shopping, sightseeing and eating/ drinking ideas to a "canned walk." I didn't go to all of them, but had a much better feel for exactly what was in the area.

I'm trying to explore an area or two a day mainly on foot instead of darting great distances around town on the underground.

May 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM

Try Sloane street, go to Sloane Square and look at all the nice shops on your way. Kings Road is also interesting.
May 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM

The Hyde Park Hotel was the predecessor of the Mandarin Oriental, The Queen learnt to dance in the balllrooms there.

The hotel you make reference to is the Hyde Park Tower/one-o-one club.
May 3rd, 2004, 01:07 PM

I think a big China Reject Shop is right past Harrod's towards the V&A at Beauchamp Place.
May 3rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
ChatNoir

I read where The Map House, the world's leading antique map dealer with over 10,000 maps, is located close to Harrod's at 54 Beauchamp Place.

May 3rd, 2004, 03:18 PM

Chat, thanks for sharing the walk with us and info from your research.

I'd also like to string a few of those places together on a long stroll. Hope you don't mind me "stealing" from this thread to make a word document.

Does anyone have any idea how far it is from Apsley House to the V&A?
May 4th, 2004, 12:56 AM

Psychologically (= I haven't measured it) about a mile, but there are loads of buses between the two, so you have an easy alternative if you get tired. If you're walking from Apsley House, you may find the traffic patterns around Hyde Park Corner itself more than a bit daunting, but just stay on the same side until you get past the Lanesborough, and then cross over.
May 4th, 2004, 01:43 AM

Instead of going along Brompton Road, turn into Beauchamp Place. Some nice shops and restaurants, including San Lorenzo (one of Princess Diana's favorites) on your left.
Turn right into Walton Street; again lots of lovely shops and restaurants. Dragons, on your left, do great children's furniture and gifts. There's also Nina Campbell, a very English decorating shop, as well as other antique, silver shops and galleries.
At the end turn right and have lunch at Joe's Cafe.
Then you can either turn right again; this will take you to the Brompton Oratory (excellent French restaurant St Quentin opposite), or turn left after Joe's Cafe, and have a look at the Michelin Building, where the Conran Shop is located (and if you haven't stopped to eat, you can always have some oysters from the ground floor cafe there). After the Michelin Building, continue along that road and turn left into Sydney Street; this will take you to the King's Road.
May 4th, 2004, 03:05 AM
ChatNoir

Thanks for all the advice - you have greatly enhanced the "plain vanilla walk" I started with.

I thought last year there was a thread mentioning a good place for tea and scones in the Knightsbridge area. Anybody remember seeing it?

May 4th, 2004, 03:11 AM

There's Richoux, opposite Harrods. A bit old-fashioned, but ok (as long as they don't make you sit in the basement). Otherwise, if you go along Brompton Road, past Beauchamp Place, there is Patisserie Valerie on your left hand side (it's the place with the amazing wedding cakes in the window).
May 4th, 2004, 03:15 AM

And not to forget Baker and Spice in Walton Street. Very very good bread and pastries. Not sure if you can sit there, apart from the few tables outside.
May 4th, 2004, 03:22 AM

I second the Map house and China Reject. I think (?) they are on the same street diagonal to eachother
May 14th, 2004, 03:53 AM
ChatNoir

Floriana is a very good Italian on Beauchamp Place. Quite close to that Reject China shop.

May 14th, 2004, 03:56 AM
ChatNoir

Comments from Scarlett on another thread;

At thte end of Beauchamp is a store that sells China. Right near that store is a Thai restaurant that we loved.

At the other end is the Italian place, you have to walk up some stairs. Very very good.
Across the street , in the middle of the block, is a nice pub that we have lunched in.
Have fun!

May 14th, 2004, 04:07 AM

Funny, I just mentioned an Italian on Beauchamp Place (not San Lorenzo) in anther thread that had a flight of stairs up. Is that Floriana ChatNoir?

Tulips,I too love Walton St. Used to enjoy eating at the Enterprise there. Do you know it? Is it still good? They did baby potatoes with sour cream & caviar, mmmmm.
May 14th, 2004, 04:11 AM

If you want baked potatoes with caviar, go to Quo Vadis in Soho - run under the Marco Pierre White "brand" - this is one of their signature dishes.

As for San Lorenzo, I have never had a bad meal there, the barman makes the best screwdriver in the world - fresh orange juice, quality vodka. It's a very classical menu, style, etc. I love it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO