London hotels/Windsor Castle

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:06 AM
M.Peterson

London hotels/Windsor Castle

Can someone suggest a 3 star hotel in central London in June (after the Jubilee)?Also, does anyone know of a tour/coach operator to contact to get from center city to Windsor. I know you can take a train, but how do you get to the Castle from the train? It seems to me that taking a tour coach would be the better answer. Right or wrong?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:26 AM
Mel

M: For the hotel, check smoothhounds.com, hotel-assist.com, londontown.com.

Windsor is easy and you definitely don't need a coach/tour operator (they'll slow you down and you'll be operating on their schedule). From wherever you're located, take the tube to Paddington and purchase a "return" (same as round trip) ticket. Trains leave about every 20 minutes. There's only one stop, at Slough, but it's a no-brainer. Exit the train, up the steps, down the steps onto the other side of the track, there's the track for Windsor. I believe the 10:20 am is the only direct.
Once you arrive in Windsor (about 25 minutes), exit the train and follow the crowd out of the station. Look up-there's the castle!!

Your r/t ticket lets you leave Windsor at your leisure--there's no set train time you have to take and the trains run until about 11:00 at night. Windsor is a lovely little town and easy to wander. Eton is just across the footbridge over the Thames and definitely worth a walk.

Have a great time!

Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:09 AM
janis

Or you can take a frequent service from Waterloo to Windsor. There are two stations in Windsor - Windsor central and Riverside. Central is literally across the street from the Castle grounds and Riverside is a several blocks walk. (The trains to Central change at Slough while the trains to Riverside are direct.) So when you buy your tickets be sure to ask for the right station.

I wouldn't take a tour to Windsor since the train is so convenient and you canspend as much or as little time there as you'd like.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:21 PM
Beth

We are off to London on March 8th for 6 nights. This is our fourth trip to one of our favorite cities! We are also looking into a trip to Windsor and would prefer to take the train and travel on our own. Can anyone recommend a way to do Windsor and Runnymede without a tour company? Sounds very easy to get to Windsor; how do we swing Runnymede? Thanks for your help.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
janis

Beth - there isn't much to see at Runnymede. Basically a big meadow with a small modern memorial pavilion. But if you want to see it, there is a tour you can take through the tourist information office in Windsor. Runnymede is only about 5-6 miles from Windsor so you could even hire a cab if you REALLY wanted to see it. Personally - I would spend the time in Windsor.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:23 PM
Geoff

If you want a coach, take the Green Line from Victoria Coash station. It is not a tour, just a bus. They run about every hour and you can take which ever one you want back.