Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Hotels Kensington (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotels-kensington-253347/)

Lynn Aug 27th, 2002 12:18 AM

London Hotels Kensington

I'm trying to decide between two hotels in the Kensington area - Barkson Gardens and<BR>Park International. Seem to be of about the same quality, near tube stations and have an<BR>in-house restaurant. Any feedback on these?

bettyk Aug 27th, 2002 06:36 AM

Lynn, I seem to remember several recent postings about the Park Int'l Hotel. I think you should be able to find them if you do a search.

xx Aug 27th, 2002 06:44 AM

Barkston Gardens is a lot closer to Earl's Court than Chelsea or South kensington

Jake Aug 27th, 2002 09:35 AM

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in March. What a dump! We stayed one night and checked out early -- among the many surprises: dirty bed linens, dirty toilet, roaches in bathroom. What a mess. Never again.<BR><BR>

Faith Aug 27th, 2002 01:47 PM

Jake-- Which hotel...Barkston or Park?

Alice Aug 27th, 2002 06:23 PM

IGNORE JAKE. "He" posted exact same message regarding an inquiry about the Marriott Champs Elysee. "He" is an imposter.

ebp Aug 27th, 2002 06:37 PM

if you do text search for park intl, will find lots of negative messages. i believe it was at fodors, but could have been at frommers. because of these messages, i instantly cancelled my reservation.<BR><BR>well, have been back from london. stayed at country inn and suites, which is 5 minute walk or less from park intl. it is clean, comfy, convenient; staff is attentive, professional, courteous, helpful. place has many amenities including internet in lobby. room with trouser iron, hair dryer, coffee and tea. rooms ample. elevator available. breakfast typical continental. for 4.50 gbp can have english breakfast. highly recommend it. has nearby 24 hour sainsbury supermart, and laundromat. reserved through aol travel online, and got rate of 102 usd per day for a double room. could be less now. i think rate directly through country inn is competitive. front desk lady is usually kate.

Linda Aug 29th, 2002 02:39 PM

"Jake" also posted the exact same comment about a "hotel" in Stonehenge. "IN" Stonehenge, mind you. Which stone, he didn't say....

Lynn Aug 29th, 2002 05:59 PM

Thanks everyone to those of you who gave honest feedback. After researching the area further I've decided to stay at Harrington Hall - hope I made the right choice. It looks like it's a little nicer than the other 2 properties and they have lowered rates now.

Sarah Aug 30th, 2002 02:40 AM

Lynn<BR><BR>I've noticed that the Harrington Hall always gets really good reviews on Fodors so you should be fine. I saw rates somewhere recently for about &pound;75 a night, which is excellent for a good 4 star hotel. I hope you got similar rates!<BR>

brenda Sep 24th, 2002 12:36 PM

Sarah,<BR><BR>Do you know where you found the 75 pound rate for Harrington Hall? I am most interested in finding out more about this hotel as my husband and I are considering it for our trip in Nov. <BR><BR>If anyone else is reading this who has stayed at HH any other reviews/comments would be welcome. Does anyone know if the bar/lounge has a fireplace?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Brenda

samaritan Sep 24th, 2002 01:43 PM

I live in london and know of Barkston Gardens in Kensington. I am not familiar with the hotel of that name only the address. There is however a very recommendable 3*** hotel called the Burns in this very same street.<BR><BR>You can get a great half price deal on this website I believe. Try<BR>www.londonrooms.biz<BR><BR>Good luckk!

Sarah Sep 25th, 2002 03:40 AM

Brenda<BR><BR>I saw the &pound;75 rate on www.discountcityhotels.com <BR>I just checked the site again and unfortunately that rate isn't available anymore, the cheapest rate is now &pound;90, but thats only on weekends. This site seems to do great special offers on certain hotels but they change frequently. By next month they may have changed again, so it's worth checking back.<BR><BR>I havent stayed at the Harrington, although I was going to. My friend booked it last year through discountcityhotels but unfortunately had to cancel her trip at the last minute although thankfully had no problems cancelling with discountcity, which is always good to hear.<BR><BR>I saw your posting on another thread about the fireplace - the official site for the Harrington is http://www.harringtonhall.co.uk/ and yes apparently their lounge bar does have a fireplace :)<BR><BR>Sarah

Bill Fleites Sep 25th, 2002 04:37 AM

Lynn,<BR>Good move on passing on the Park International Hotel. I used this hotel on my last trip to London and give it negative marks. Although not a complete dump, I cannot recommend it because the rooms and bathrooms are super tiny (even by European standards), with old fixtures, terrible bed, and an awful breakfast. The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it's in a very nice neighborhood which has a lot of restaurants and shops. Also it is within easy walking distance of Glocester Road and the tube station.

topping Sep 26th, 2002 02:30 AM

topping for Brenda