Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Hotels in Kensington: Harrington Hall, Moat House, Rembrandt or Burns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Mark

I am going to London in a few weeks and wanted to get your opinions on which of these hotels you prefer and why. Also, if your comments relate to particular types of rooms (e.g., standard double vs. superior double), please advise me of that as well. The hotels and rates (inclusive of VAT) are:<BR><BR>Harrington Hall (75 pounds)<BR>Moat House Kensington (80 pounds)<BR>Harrington Hall (75 pounds)<BR>Rembrandt (89 pounds)<BR><BR>Thank you in advance for your helpful feedback.<BR><BR>Mark<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Shelley

Mark,<BR>Yesterday someone asked about several hotels, including Harrington Hall, and this is a copy of my response. I heartily recommend HH. Our room was a superior double. Your rate of 75 pounds is a steal for these accommodations.<BR><BR>Message: I never miss an opportunity to recommend Harrington Hall. We stayed there last summer and will defintely stay there again. The rooms are large, with king bed, marble bathroom, air conditioning, minibar. My sister's family of four had a suite and were not charged for the rollaway bed they requested. The continental breakfast is the best I have ever seen, but is spendy if not included in the price of the room. The concierge is most helpful. The nearest tube stop is a block and a half away. Some shops are in walking distance. The Big Bus tour has a stop a block away. We have stayed at the Thistle Marble Arch and Millennium Glouscester (across the street from HH) before, but our cabbie, on the way to HH, told us it was the best of the three and he was right! I have seen cheaper rates (90 pounds)quoted on this forum and you might check some of the discount sites. But 110 is less than we paid, and I would certainly stay there at that rate.<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Shelley

Mark,<BR>Yesterday someone asked about several hotels, including Harrington Hall, and this is a copy of my response. I heartily recommend HH. Our room was a superior double. Your rate of 75 pounds is a steal for these accommodations.<BR><BR>Message: I never miss an opportunity to recommend Harrington Hall. We stayed there last summer and will defintely stay there again. The rooms are large, with king bed, marble bathroom, air conditioning, minibar. My sister's family of four had a suite and were not charged for the rollaway bed they requested. The continental breakfast is the best I have ever seen, but is spendy if not included in the price of the room. The concierge is most helpful. The nearest tube stop is a block and a half away. Some shops are in walking distance. The Big Bus tour has a stop a block away. We have stayed at the Thistle Marble Arch and Millennium Gloucester (across the street from HH) before, but our cabbie, on the way to HH, told us it was the best of the three and he was right! I have seen cheaper rates (90 pounds)quoted on this forum and you might check some of the discount sites. But 110 is less than we paid, and I would certainly stay there at that rate.<BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Mark

Thanks, Shelley. Any feedback from others?<BR><BR>Mark

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM
kate

I also replied about Harrington Hall!<BR>I know the street and neighborhood,having rented a flat around the corner off of Brompton Road.I know a couple of people who have stayed there, it was renovated a few years ago,the outside is still the same,but the inside is new and modern.They all liked it,and the area can't be beat! The Tube station is just steps away,there are numerous small and large great restaurants and shops, I really like staying in South Kensington!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:38 AM
mary

Mark,<BR>Any chance you could post up where you got these rates? I am going to London in October and want to stay at Harringotn Hall but the rate i got was &pound;145, which is out of my range..<BR>Thanks..

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Sue

We stayed at the Rembrandt and liked it very much. We paid a lot more than 89 pounds, tho. Our room was called an executive twin(supposedly an "upgrade") and was large, with a very lg. marble bathroom. The location is super;right across the road from the V and A, and Harrods, Harvey Nicholls, Slone(Sloan?) St. are less than 10 min. on foot. Very close S. Ken. tube station. I don't think you can go wrong with it, esp. at that price.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Jamila

Mark, where did you find these great rates????

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:07 AM
cheapskate

I got a very good rate from discountcityhotels.com. Good luck.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Leslie

Your title mentions the Burns, but your post omits it. For whatever it's worth, I stayed there this February and liked it very much. A charming 3 star with nicely appointed rooms and a terrific buffet breakfast and a very good value through www.hotel-assist.com. However, it is in Earl's Court, not S. Kensington. It's on a pleasant street across from the park and not far from the Earl's Court station.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Mark

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks, again, for your replies.<BR><BR>These rates were posted for late September on www.discountcityhotels.com . I have read/heard from others that if you book the Burns hotel using this site, you might get "basement rooms" which can be stuffy. I am hoping that others who have used this web site have gotten good rooms at other hotels. Does anyone have experience booking the Rembrandt or Harrington Hall on the discountcityhotels.com web site?<BR><BR>Mark